Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

951 rxdi...fix it, part it or blow it out cheap?

The end of last season the wife decided to take her family down to my boat for a day of foolin around while I was at work. Make a long story short by the end of the day both my 08' rxt-x AND 02' rxdi were flipped and full of water.....AWESOME . Only positve in this story was my beyond fantastic SEA-DOO dealership (Gargano's in East Haven,CT) was able to save the rxt-x and the fact that I never have to let the In-Laws touch any of my toys again. The salt in the wound is that when the rxdi motor was full of water the morons continued to still try and start it.....spent internals....hooray! The dealership told me it really wasn't worth fixin because the parts were gonna be $2000 alone and the whole ski was only worth about $3000 running. I put the ski away in the basement to worry about it another day....well that day is here. I dont mind doing the work myself but these D.I. motors seem to be very picky and I dont want to dump a couple thousand into a new block just to have it blow up again in a lean condition or something else. I also thought about converting it to a four stroke...you know....some kind of monster machine. Any suggestions? is it worth any effort? I really like the new RXT-X 260's but it really is buggin me just seeing this ski sitting in my basement.

Did the Dealership Diagnose the RXDI for you? I know they told you it was "broke"....What what exatly is wrong with it? Alot of times Dealers dont want to just fix the broken part, they want to replace the whole entire engine.=More Money! Most of the time when you get a 2 cycle engine full of water, its very simple to flush out and get going again the same day! . Or worse case need a new top end (~$500.00) Now I assume the engine has been sitting full of water all this time, I would say its now Toast because of rusted bearings in the bottom end.... And your looking at about 1,500 bucks for a new engine. Its up to you if you want to fix it. If you like the ski and want to keep it for a few more years, I would say go for it. If you just want to get rid of it, I would cut your losses and sell it as is. JMO.

yeah....if the dealership pulled the head off and found "bent rods" I believe is what the told me if I remember correctly. This is one dealership I do trust tho. They have done alot of work for me and have have never been dissatisfied. The even flushed all the water out of the bad motor and douched it down with oil "just in case" for me. They said that it needed a new bottom end and they gave me the same advice about usually being able to save a 2 stoke within the 1st day until they did take the head off. Do you think that water in the ski could have ruined any of the direct injection parts? I guess anything is possible right? I just dont want to be deep into this thing to find out there is more wrong with it from this mishap.

unless it sucked in water while running i dont think the rods are bent.

+1
    If it was upside down and not righted correctly it had water in the engine. If they tried to start it it could have bent a rod.

With a strong battery they CAN bend a rod with just the starter and enough water.

More often you see it break a reed valve, though others have lost a rod this way.

Since it was not pulled apart right away after being flooded there may be other damage now that it has sat for so long.

In the end, forget the blue book values and stuff like that. You have to decide what the boat is worth to you. You either want it or not. It is worth more in pieces anyway, even if it is not running.

If you want the boat running then fix it. The last DI I did for a customer got a Rotax Reman that cost him around 2,200.

flyin' the friendly skies airbornexp's Avatar
    +1
    how could they tell that you bent a rod just by pulling the head? Will the RX even turn over by hand?

the pistons wont come all the way up

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by winterstick View Post
    the pistons wont come all the way up
    Ding!

+1
    If you do decide to sell it pm me a price as is..

+1
    Sell it. When you spend a grip on the motor (I spent about 2k doing it myself) something electrical will screw up and you will wish you would have cut your losses and sold it. Been there done that and another skis is WAY better than a sunken DI.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information