Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    +1

Laptop Notebooks

My Dell laptop is falling apart, vista keeps crashing and its only 2 years old!! I'll never own another dell product ever again!

Money is real tight right now and I've been looking at getting a Notebook since they're usually under $400 and its perfect for my job. I dont need anything fancy since I really only use my computer for word, pictures, internet and the basics. Anyone have any luck with notebooks and have some constructive critism to assist me in buying a new one????

Thanks guys for your help

+1
    Its not Dell...Why nor just save some $ and load Windows 7 ? There is a night and day performance difference between the 2.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by mrbtd View Post
    Its not Dell...Why nor just save some $ and load Windows 7 ? There is a night and day performance difference between the 2.
    The actual laptop is falling apart and I was talking to someone about it and they had the same issue with their dell. Dell refuses to admit its an issue. So now I can't move my screen up and down.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dell.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	517.1 KB 
ID:	184334  

+1
    Gotcha..I think you meant netbook instead of notebook ? The small netbooks are great for travel but will frustrate you @ home.

+1
    I have one of each (netbook and notebook) The netbook is not that bad, once you get used to it. Just like typing, it takes a little while to get fluid with it. I use it when I travel, but as much as I get acustomed to it, I think I'd like to have a full size keyboard at home.

+1
    Oooops yea I meant netbook......I'm going to keep the dell laptop I have now at home since it can't be closed with out more damage being done to it.

Anyone happy with a certain brand netbook? Acer, hp, etc

Acer and Asus both make nice netbooks. Just be sure you know that you can't really multi-task well with them, the processors are TINY on them

+1
    I bought my wife an acer, and she bought me a gateway for christmas. Turns out they are IDENTICAL! She has windows 7 and I'm running xp, and neither of us have any complaints. I do see they are making them with bigger hard drives now, so if you decide to go this route, may wanna pony up the extra cash to get a 250gb.

If you are not in a rush, I have seen a lot of netbooks on woot.com recently. It's a pretty cool site. They offer one deal/day, and shipping is only $5. you just have to check it every day, and buy before it's sold out.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    The primary thing that makes a Netbook a Netbook is price. They are made to be inexpensive. That means every component inside is chosen with low price in mind. And features are limited to the ones the company feels must be included - everything else is not present.

As long as you are OK with that, netbooks can be quite useful. No CD/DVD drive, and often a low resolution screen display (relative to the better notebook models) is the only option.

The keyboard may be smaller than standard, depending on the display size. As the screen gets bigger, the lower half can fit a bigger keyboard. A netbook with a 9 inch screen will have a smaller keyboard than a 12 inch netbook.

I find the screen on many netbooks is OK only when you look at them from a specific angle. Higher or lower angles, the brightness, contrast and colors changes.

A Netbook may not have a card reader for your camera, and usually has very few USB ports. Video port may just be VGA. They do OK with battery life, but an extended run time battery can make a big difference.

There really are not that many different manufacturers of computers in the world. Many different brands are made in the same factories. Acer owns the Gateway and Packard Bell brands, among others.

Dell uses multiple OEM manufacturers for various computer models.

Be sure to have some method of keeping copies of your data safe. The hard disc in a netbook can and will fail, just like any other hard drive. Generally, there is no shock absorbing features for the hard drive in a netbook. Every time you bump or drop the netbook while it is running, the hard drive takes a jolt.

Warranty repair is typically a direct replacement of the entire unit. Once the warranty is over, there is often no service available. Repair parts may only be available via eBay third parties.

I recently bought a Dell netbook, model Mini 10v. I added the larger capacity battery, and it really can run about six hours on a charge.

Dell doesn't sell it with 2GB of memory, so I added that myself after it arrived.

I wanted it to be tough, so I changed the regular hard drive to a solid state SSD type. Less total capacity, but zero moving parts. Makes for a tough netbook.

For those who dislike Windows, I then installed Mac OS X. Yes, Mac OS on a Dell netbook. Works well

Installed NeoOffice, the Mac version of the free to legally download OpenOffice.org product.

Compact, portable, and fairly tough - I like it. The screen is merely OK, and the keyboard is a tad smaller than 'normal', but otherwise it is fine.

I also ordered a Bluetooth module for it from eBay (since it doesn't come with Bluetooth).

no way mine is broken on that exact hinge... great....

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information