Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

4in intake tubing

I see many of you have made a 4 in intake out of hose. Has anyone every tried to make one using aluminum tubing. I thought of trying the idea. i might use the riva tube as a template.

Quote Originally Posted by HoopsRXT
    I see many of you have made a 4 in intake out of hose. Has anyone every tried to make one using aluminum tubing. I thought of trying the idea. i might use the riva tube as a template.
    I have the RIVA intake which is 3", and that was hard enough trying to maneuver around the engine. I don't know if you could maneuver one solid peice of 4" Aluminum tubing around the engine to install it.

I don't know for sure though.

I agree rxpkid.
    It would suck more than anything has ever sucked before.

EZ Dock of Long Island Shibby1485's Avatar
    +1
    i bought all the 4" mandrel bent aluminum to do it... a 4" bend right off the SC won't clear the pump tunnel and driveshaft unless you start making bends and curves to clear it by just an inch or so...

needless to say, i scrapped that idea for now

If I were to try an aluminum intake like you're thinking of, I'd make it the same size as the RIVA, but with thinner walls (kinda bored out more) for a larger volume of air, but still fit around the engine.

I don't think that would be as effective as the 4" intake most are running though.

Assuming approx. 300 cfm of airflow is needed on a stage 2 or equivelent setup with the Riva 3" smoothbore tube and 180 degrees of turns you would have a 5" w.c. (water column) pressure drop and be at 6000 feet per minute of air velocity through the intake tube. With a 4" spiral intake tube and 180 degrees of turns factoring in the pressure drop through the spiral tube is 50% greater than smooth bore tube you would be at a 1.5" wc. pressure drop and 3500 fpm of air velocity. The differance in total pressure drop between the two setups is 3.5" wc. or .13 psi. The 4" tube should result in slightly higher airflow since the total esp (external static pressure) across the supercharger impeller will be lower with the 4" tube and result in a higher volume of airflow. Going from 4" spiral tube to a 4" smoothbore tube would not net any appreciable gains in my opinion. Incedently, the 4" pipe has a 78% greater free area than the 3" pipe! Interesting huh?

You lost me...you mentioned a 3", 5", then a 4" intake. I can't understand which intakes you're comparing...3 to 5, 5 to 4, or 3 to 4?

What's you're point with all this? Which intake is the best?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark S
    Assuming approx. 300 cfm of airflow is needed on a stage 2 or equivelent setup with the Riva 3" smoothbore tube and 180 degrees of turns you would have a 5" w.c. (water column) pressure drop and be at 6000 feet per minute of air velocity through the intake tube. With a 4" spiral intake tube and 180 degrees of turns factoring in the pressure drop through the spiral tube is 50% greater than smooth bore tube you would be at a 1.5" wc. pressure drop and 3500 fpm of air velocity. The differance in total pressure drop between the two setups is 3.5" wc. or .13 psi. The 4" tube should result in slightly higher airflow since the total esp (external static pressure) across the supercharger impeller will be lower with the 4" tube and result in a higher volume of airflow. Going from 4" spiral tube to a 4" smoothbore tube would not net any appreciable gains in my opinion. Incedently, the 4" pipe has a 78% greater free area than the 3" pipe! Interesting huh?
    Yea what he said

I was comparing a 3" to a 4" pipe. The 5 refers to inches of water column (w.c.) which is typically how pressure drop is measured when talking about airflow. There are approx. 28 " of water column in a pound of pressure. The 4" would be the better setup and yield better airflow. Sorry if that was confusing.

Mark LOL!! You need to come my way some time and ride the Mississippi with us sometime! How's it going anyway?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information