making your own ride plate

I wanted to talk about making or extending your own ride plates. If anyone had any experience thoughts comments or concerns on this. My slx skips around on the water at high speed and I want to stop this so I am putting an r&d intake grate on it and I also want to extend my ride plate. I saw on this thread http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=120971 that 32DegH2O extended his ride plate 4 inches. How would this affect my turning, handling, acceleration, top speed, ability to do donuts, spinouts, and wheelies? Unlike the ocean pro ride plates mine will be smooth on the bottom so I thought it would be better play around on (not hurt my ability to do those things). Should I just extend the center part like 32DegH2O or should I extend the whole thing? And how far? Thanks guys looking forward to your thoughts Kyle

She likes the bike. But the ski gets her wet!!!! xlint89's Avatar
    +1
    Have you looked into an OP extended ride plate?

How about putting trim tabs on it to lengthen the hull?

Maybe try a smaller degree wedge? Like a 2 or 3*?

I heard with a op ride plate you lose some of the ability to do donuts and such and also it kills your acceleration. 32DegH2O in the thread said it helped his acceleration and I figured because it was still flat on the bottom unlike the op plate it might not hurt the ability to do donuts and fool around. I know nothing about a wedge. I could always have heard wrong so correct me if I have any one else ever extend their own?

I extended mine on the SL780 and can't tell a difference on acceleration, but top speed increases slightly and porpusing stops..

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by 2000slx1200 View Post
    I heard with a op ride plate you lose some of the ability to do donuts and such and also it kills your acceleration. 32DegH2O in the thread said it helped his acceleration and I figured because it was still flat on the bottom unlike the op plate it might not hurt the ability to do donuts and fool around. I know nothing about a wedge. I could always have heard wrong so correct me if I have any one else ever extend their own?
    The extendede ride plate I made helped in my top end speed because it kept me in the water so I was able to gain speed. It also helped in coming out of the hole as it got me onto plane much faster. the extended plate will hurt your fun factor a little. It won't jump off a wake as well as it use to as the ride plate wants to puch the nose down. Extending a stock plate by welding another to it take a little work to do. Welding cast aluminum is not fun or easy to do. You might want to try some trim tabs first as mentioned above and see what that does for you first. Switching to a 2 or 3 degree wedge might help as well. It all depends on how bad the bouncing is to start with. My case was really bad so it took extreme changes to get rid of it.

Thread Information