1997 XP Hull Problem

Hey guys?

I am getting my seadoos ready for the year, and I noticed that my 1997 Seadoo XP has a lot of wear on the bottom of the seadoo. There are no major scratches, but the bottom has a lot of wear in the middle, more than likely from the previous owner beaching it. What I'm looking for, is what do you recommend to have that repaired?

Thanks

+1
    I had the same problem with the same year hull....

Get some matched gelcoat, apply a couple of layers (sand with 600) in between coats. Build it up a little past the the damage, feather it in with 600. Finish it with 1500, polish with compound.

It might be a pain to do it from the bottom, gelcoat is kind of thin and may run. You can put an additive in it to make it paste like, I dont know were you would get it locally, the stuff I know of is called (Wacker fumed silica.) But I have never tried it in a finish coat, I dont know how it would buff out. There may be other products you can get locally that will do the same.

You can find matching gelcoat here... http://www.gelcoat.ca/

If you want an easy fix just get some duraglass from the local auto store,
    patch it and just spray paint it yellow.

I had the same issue...I got a gelcoat kit from west marine. I also got a keel shield that is a guard that runs down the spine of the boat...be careful tho..i read somewhere that they wont work on an X4 hull..not sure if the 97 XP is an X4 hull or not...if you are interested I would call them to double check

I found a local guy that recommended using the keelguard and also quoted me about a $100 bucks to do. He has done work for me in the post, so I might go that way.

If in the Niagara area, PM and I will send you his contact info. I will take some pics.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by jsirois831 View Post
    not sure if the 97 XP is an X4 hull or not
    two totaly different hulls. i would deffinatly double check on that though. the X4 hull has a large flat spot starting from the begining of the pump tunnel for about 3 ft towards the front. it then starts to roll into a single edge alittle forward of the handle bars and goes up to the bow hook. i dont think a keel gaurd will work. let me see if i have a pic of the two hulls.

Edit..heres one from when i was redoing the bottom on my 951 X4 project. you can see how a keel gaurd would be almost useless. sorry i dont have a pic of the 97xp+ hull. but the leading edge on that style style hul goes almost all the way to the pump tunnel.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMGP0676.JPG 
Views:	546 
Size:	1.29 MB 
ID:	184496  

what year hull is that? And what year did the XP stop using the X4 hull?

oh yeah, and they say it can add 2mph to most skis...personally i think its a marketing ploy...i would confirm, but my speedo doesnt always work so I wouldnt be able to tell ya!

+1
    what year hull is that? And what year did the XP stop using the X4 hull?
    That is a 95xp. The last XP X4 was on the 96xp. They continued the x4 hull on the sp models for a few years.

oh yeah, and they say it can add 2mph to most skis...personally i think its a marketing ploy...i would confirm, but my speedo doesnt always work so I wouldnt be able to tell ya!
    I am gona call BS on that. I find it hard to beleive it causes a speed increase.

I am gona call BS on that. I find it hard to beleive it causes a speed increase
    agreed

Thread Information