Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: 97 XP help!

  1. #1

    97 XP help!

    Hi everyone. I have spent the last couple days searching through the forums to try and find answers/suggestions. I have not been able to find everything I was looking for, but I also do not really know what to search for either.

    Here is my situation. I received a 1997 XP through my cousin who did not really take care of it. The death of it happened when they ran over a tow rope, and instead of pulling the rope out of the intake grate and impeller, they just parked it. What made this worse is that they lived on salt water, so of course the engine seized. I have removed the engine and tried to free the pistons from the cylinder walls in hopes of being able to purchase new cylinders and pistons. After weeks of soaking it in PB Blaster and taking a sledge hammer, yes a sledge hammer, and a block of wood I was only able to get one of the pistons to move 1/4 inch. So the engine is trashed. Of course I knew it was trashed before I took the sledge hammer to it, but I was determined to get the pistons out anyway (which still didn't happen).

    So now I am looking at replacing the entire engine, and using the heap of metal I pulled out of the ski as a core. My question, should I stay with the 787? Or is it possible/advisable to go with a larger engine? And should I build an engine myself or just buy a motor off a website? I would like to have a more powerful motor than what was in the ski originally, but I am not familiar enough with Sea Doo's to know what to do and not to do. My goals for this ski is to have it as an all around ski. I would like to be able to get it to go mid 60's (if possible) but still be reliable and handle nicely. I would love to be able to get it to keep up with my girlfriend's 2006 RXT.

    So basically, what would you do? I am looking for advise from people who have experience, and have been there done that. I have built cars in the past and after every build there were things I wish I knew before I started that would have saved money and time. And thats what I am hoping to get from you all. From your past experiences what is the best way to get the ski to reach mid 60's? Thank you all for your time and advise. Also I live in the Yorktown/Newport News area of Virginia if there is anyone near by, or if anyone knows of local shops in this area.


  2. #2
    mibunkerking's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Jax,Fl
    Posts
    2,260
    +1
    117
    okay, heres where you need to make a choice. do you... A. want to stay with the same motor? or B. go with a bigger motor (951)?

    A. staying with the 787 will be cheaper. you will not see the mid 60's unless you highly mod that motor. parts are easy to find. rebuild the motor yourself to save money and learn something in the process. there are mixed veiws on the sight bought motors like SBT.

    B. put a 951 in it. it would be alot easier just to part out or sell the 97 xp and get a 98+ xpl with a 951 already in it. to put a 951 in a ski that had a 787 wound require alot of work. the front mount would need to be glassed in on the other side, exhaust swaped to opposite side of ski, electronics, and other things. more work than its worth. however, a 951 stock in a xpl tops out around 61. so with slight mods you should see mid 60's.

    as for the pistons that wont come out, i would cut the rods with a saw-zall (assuming your crank is already shot)then put the jug in a vice and hammer away. just take care not to damage the jugs or cases.

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by mibunkerking View Post
    okay, heres where you need to make a choice. do you... A. want to stay with the same motor? or B. go with a bigger motor (951)?

    A. staying with the 787 will be cheaper. you will not see the mid 60's unless you highly mod that motor. parts are easy to find. rebuild the motor yourself to save money and learn something in the process. there are mixed veiws on the sight bought motors like SBT.

    B. put a 951 in it. it would be alot easier just to part out or sell the 97 xp and get a 98+ xpl with a 951 already in it. to put a 951 in a ski that had a 787 wound require alot of work. the front mount would need to be glassed in on the other side, exhaust swaped to opposite side of ski, electronics, and other things. more work than its worth. however, a 951 stock in a xpl tops out around 61. so with slight mods you should see mid 60's.

    as for the pistons that wont come out, i would cut the rods with a saw-zall (assuming your crank is already shot)then put the jug in a vice and hammer away. just take care not to damage the jugs or cases.
    I guess I'll stick with the 787 then. Thanks for the info.

    The motor I pulled out is completely rusted. the crank and everything inside is rusted. The motor sat for a year or more with the rope stuck in it and not being flushed. I just figured it would cost more and be more work to rebuild the motor instead of just buying a new motor. Am I wrong on that assumption? I will take pictures as soon as I get a chance to help show what I mean.

    Also if I do buy a new motor instead of rebuilding, what is the difference between a 787 white and a 787 silver motor, or is it just one is painted and the other isn't? And are there any mods you would recommend to do to the motor before I instal it that won't cost me an arm and leg, but would yield noticeable gains?

    I am also looking to replace the intake grate and ride plate. Any suggestions on those? I was looking at R&D.

  4. #4
    jsirois831's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    mass
    Posts
    233
    dont know much about engine rebuilds, except the 787 makes more sense.

    For sure go with the intake grate, Worx or R&D are good...skip the ride plate on an 01 XP...maybe sponsons...engine mods, go for new jetting, flame arrestors, get rid of the accel pump, and add a primer kit.
    Last thing you can do to that boat to get it to move is new prop...either SOLAS(my preference) or you can send your stock prop to IMPROS and they can pitch it perfectly.

  5. #5
    Work Harder, Millions on Wellfare Depend On Us! ultramaxracing05's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Beaumont, Texas
    Posts
    2,999
    +1
    123
    stick with the 787,
    I fully rebuilt a 951 from the ground.
    trust me its expensive, to find parts for a 951.
    I spent over 1k just on the engine itself.

  6. #6
    This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Elephant Butte New Mexico
    Posts
    6,519
    +1
    1,268

    +1 on the 787

    you can get a couple of MPH by losing that weight you put on over the winter

    I could likely gain 3-5mph by losing the 50 pounds my doc keeps telling me about.

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by jsirois831 View Post
    dont know much about engine rebuilds, except the 787 makes more sense.

    For sure go with the intake grate, Worx or R&D are good...skip the ride plate on an 01 XP...maybe sponsons...engine mods, go for new jetting, flame arrestors, get rid of the accel pump, and add a primer kit.
    Last thing you can do to that boat to get it to move is new prop...either SOLAS(my preference) or you can send your stock prop to IMPROS and they can pitch it perfectly.
    I was looking into replacing the ride plate because I need to replace the shoe (piece above ride plate that wraps around the impeller) because my cousin stripped the screw that held the intake grate on and just drilled through the shoe and put a bolt with a nut on it. But I could reuse the ride factory ride plate.
    Quote Originally Posted by nmpeter View Post
    you can get a couple of MPH by losing that weight you put on over the winter

    I could likely gain 3-5mph by losing the 50 pounds my doc keeps telling me about.
    HAHA, Im 5'11" and only weigh 140-145. If I lost weight I think I'd have more problems then trying to go faster.

  8. #8
    mibunkerking's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Jax,Fl
    Posts
    2,260
    +1
    117
    Quote Originally Posted by ultramaxracing05 View Post
    stick with the 787,
    I fully rebuilt a 951 from the ground.
    trust me its expensive, to find parts for a 951.
    I spent over 1k just on the engine itself.
    +1

    i am in about $1400 for parts alone on my big bore 951.

  9. #9
    Pauly C. Small Paul's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Jacksonville, FL, United States
    Posts
    678
    +1
    1
    I'd also stick with the 787. If you really want to go the 951 route, buy a ski with one in it.

    If that ski is as jacked up as you say it is, may want to look at everything else before you buy a motor. If there was that much salt water in it, the electronics could be junk as well.

    Good luck regardless of what you decide to do!

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. 97 XP won't run under load please help
    By jared427 in forum 2-Stroke Performance
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 05-16-2009, 06:02 AM
  2. 97 XP won't rev up HELP!!!
    By jared427 in forum 2-Stroke Performance
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 09-01-2008, 07:19 PM
  3. 97 XP won't rev up HELP!!!
    By jared427 in forum Sea Doo Open Discussion
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-25-2008, 12:39 AM
  4. 97 xp wont start need help
    By 2stroker in forum 2-Stroke Performance
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 06-08-2008, 10:31 PM
  5. Help! Looking for an MPEM for a 97 XP
    By Green Hulk in forum 2-Stroke Performance
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 03-08-2008, 08:53 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •