1997 TS Montego throttle sticking

I have a 1997 TS Montego and the Throttle keeps sticking on me. I have sprayed carb cleaner in the carb and it will work fine. But if I park it and let it sit for a while (few hours) it starts to stick again. I know its not the cable sticking because the actual butterfly on the car is hard to turn. If I let the ski sit a while on the trailer, I have to get a wrench to actually get the butterfly to turn. Im about to take the carb off and completely clean it. Just wondering if anyone else has had any issues with this?

Taking the carb off and cleaning it would be the best thing to do. I would remove the throttle butterlfy and take out the whole trottle shaft. Use sandpapaer to clean the shaft and make sure the holes they slike into are clean too.

Would I need a rebuild kit for anything like that?

No not if your just taking out the throttle shaft. You might want to check to make sure your spring still has enough tension to hold the throttle shut. If you spring is bad you can always buy just that one part. Also would be a good idea to pull out the small internal filter and clean that while you got the carb off.

Quote Originally Posted by burton9010 View Post
    No not if your just taking out the throttle shaft. You might want to check to make sure your spring still has enough tension to hold the throttle shut. If you spring is bad you can always buy just that one part. Also would be a good idea to pull out the small internal filter and clean that while you got the carb off.
    Last year I took the spring off and cleaned it all up, checked it, and put it back on. The spring is still good. Thanks for the advice. I will remove the carb and clean everything nicely. Although, is there an aftermarket carb that will yield noticeable gains that would be worth it to swap out to?

Do what size motor do you have? I would be a lot of work to "bolt on" a different or larger carb to the same motor. What you could do it get your carbs modified. check out www.jetworks.com Art is the guy down there that does all the work and he has a cumstom carb setup that he calls a blackjack. He can also perform the blackjack mod to alot of stock carbs. If you got something like this done it would give you a lot more power everywhere in the RPM range.

sorry the address is www.jetworks.net

Quote Originally Posted by burton9010 View Post
    sorry the address is www.jetworks.net
    Thanks a lot for the info. I'll look into that.

Thread Information