+1

Replacing the Carbon Wear Ring

I did a search but was unable to find a thread on how to replace the carbon seal on the driveshaft. Help anyone ?

+1
    pull the metal ring in front of the carbon seal back really hard and expose the c-clip under it. remove the clip, then remove your pump. pull the driveshaft and you're good to go

+1
    you may find that pulling back on the stainless retainer(metal ring as described in top post) is very hard and that the shaft will actually slide a ways back while you pull on it! My remedy for this: Remove the pump and stuff some news paper in the spline area of the prop, not too much just leave about an inch of splines open and replace the pump( YOU MAY HAVE TO LAY UNDER SKI AND VISUALLY GUIDE THE SHAFT INTO PROP AS YOU LOOK IN THROUGH INTAKE GRATE) and only throw 2 bolts in it(pump) as you will be removing it again anyway to remove the shaft! This will remove the slack in the shaft keeping it from sliding backwards! I even spray some PB Blaster in the end of the retainer to loosen up any rust they may be holding it to the shaft. Once you slide the retainer back you will expose the clip, remove clip and slide retainer forward! Remove the pump and pull the shaft out

+1
    Why are you replacing it?

+1
    Well I am pulling my pump on 06 RXT to put a new impeller and wear ring so I thought I may as well pull the drive shaft and replace the carbon seal as the boat has 96 hrs on it. Also is the drive shaft tool sold in Jerry's store worth it to make the job easier. I don't mind investing in a $100 tool as I will be using it on my three boats.

+1
    if you keep hit that retainer with some pb blaster before you try and remove it ahead of time ( I do a day or two before) and you are strong, then you can pull back on it and have someone remove the clip! I would use a tool if I had one laying around but it's not totally necessary .

+1
    Eric, be careful with that carbon seal, if you don't get it right you can easily sink your ski. We have over 300 hours each on our RXT's and the seals are fine.

Thread Information