Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    +1

How to keep your ski afloat!?

What would you do, while out on the water. Hit a stump or large rock. Damage to the bottom of your hull water intrusion. Get it to the beach. then what? Inflate a rubber raft? Pontoon boat? Say it is 800 to 1000 lbs. How would you get it back to your trailer?

drive your truck and trailer to the beach.

beach it at my Grandpas and then use this beast and patch it up

+1
    This scenario is 10 miles away from a boat ramp up in the trails! Thinking out loud just in case! Trees and no way to get a truck or trailer to the area.

dont hit a stump?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Rampage View Post
    dont hit a stump?
    Should have thought of that!Down south we ride along the beach or in the back waters. Not in lakes like you northern folk!

flyin' the friendly skies airbornexp's Avatar
    +1
    I had this happen to me on my first ski. I was hauling azz up a river id never been on and noticed that the boats were all turning around. well I kept going and thought that I was in the channel when I noticed that there were stumps on the side...well they were large rocks next thing that I know i hit a large rock and ground to a halt in ankle deep water. I cleaned the pump out and put the hammer down with my drain plug out...by the time I got back 10 miles down river I was on the trailer. I had most of the water out of the hull even though I had a 12" x 3" gash in the hull.

+1
    Big pontoon boat would work best with to boards with a float on the end and winch it up and on. kind like what you have at your place to pull the skis out. but if you cant do that then tie floats to the ski to keep it above water while you tow it back. OR get "3" 7000gph bilge pumps

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by L Carlson View Post
    This scenario is 10 miles away from a boat ramp up in the trails! Thinking out loud just in case! Trees and no way to get a truck or trailer to the area.
    The "scenario" you describe is just another run down the bayou around here. Although on the "MB" side your apt to find a camp on the water, but on the other side... oh well - you'd better hope a boat crosses your path are you're gator fodder.

+1
    Hopefully you didn't break the first rule of hazardous riding, and went with another ski. If so, beach the ski and get the rider to a safe spot.

For a gi-hu-normous hole, we have used a piece of thin aluminum out of the dumpster at the marina, marine-tex, a drill, aluminum rivets. We beat the aluminum with whatever you can find... rocks, logs, whatever, until it fits fairly close to the hole. cover around the hole with marine tex. drill the aluminum and rivet it on. We ran it fairly slow, and it stayed dry over 10miles back to the ramp.

...or just tow the sunk whale and deal with the drama at your leisure...expect a huge engine recovery project.

For a pump tunnel hole... gaping. Drive 5-10mph. Somewhere in this range, there is a mighty suction that develops. Watch your bilge pump line. Once you find the magic spot, the hull stays dry. You will most certainly burn up a prop, and liner, if the ride back is very long... and 10mph is murder on the nerves. If you go over this speed, your hull will fill within 2 minutes...FLAT.

For small holes, marine-tex is your friend. It usually works underwater and dries within minutes to a rock-hard puty... basically epoxy.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information