Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: BOV blockoff

+1

BOV blockoff

OK I am getting confused. I keep seeing everyone telling the 250/260 owners to blockoff the BOV even if they ride in rough waters. WHY?
    I know we have the superior hull for this stuff but it does come unhooked. Isn't the BOV needed for this. I have a friend heavily modding his FZR and a particular FZR pro has told him to put on the BOV because he could blow his SC when he rides on waters when the ski unhooks.
    I am really just wondering why others are putting them on and kawi guys are removing them?

Quote Originally Posted by lasportsmn View Post
    OK I am getting confused. I keep seeing everyone telling the 250/260 owners to blockoff the BOV even if they ride in rough waters. WHY?
    I know we have the superior hull for this stuff but it does come unhooked. Isn't the BOV needed for this. I have a friend heavily modding his FZR and a particular FZR pro has told him to put on the BOV because he could blow his SC when he rides on waters when the ski unhooks.
    I am really just wondering why others are putting them on and kawi guys are removing them?
    If I understand the theory properly the idea is that without the BOV block off the SC can lose efficiency/power due to a leaky valve (plus it's harder to monitor boost levels precisely). That said I don't plan to do it anytime soon.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by NaptownKawi View Post
    If I understand the theory properly the idea is that without the BOV block off the SC can lose efficiency/power due to a leaky valve (plus it's harder to monitor boost levels precisely). That said I don't plan to do it anytime soon.
    +1

Formerly Ultra250 TN Aquaholic6801's Avatar
    +1
    There are 2 "blow off" valves on this motor, the one on the intercooler that is operated by to much boost, and there is on activated by vacuum, I blocked mine of along time ago, but I am rethinking this, I think I may up grade to a higher quality blow off valve that is more precise in its pressure let off and that doesnt leak....HKS maybe.........

+1
    good luck getting your motors to spin past 9000rpm which is what the sc is rated for.

this sc is fixed in boost = rpm. you only make as much boost as you can spin the motor. back fires, hicups etc if they can occur, wont make you spin over 9000 rpm.

you should not be on the throttle when you unhook anyway, (well not unless you have warners race budget).

Think of your pump spinning at 8000 rpm with no water, then slam it full snot into tons of water pressure.

no bov for nearly two years. ic and hoses perfect.

+1
    foot note for experienced throttle jockeys only just do it no one has yet blown a i/c from not having one

i had a look at the ultra 260x metal bov the other day and it looks absolutely the same with the metal BOV that comes in certain Mitsubishi Evo editions. I am not sure if the internals are the same. If they are, they can handle up to 30 psi without leaking.

Would it be possible to replace the 250x BOV with the 260x BOV (which is supposed to be much higher quality)? I am personally a little apprehensive about blocking it off but if replacing it would be an option I would seriously consider it.

Quote Originally Posted by NaptownKawi View Post
    Would it be possible to replace the 250x BOV with the 260x BOV (which is supposed to be much higher quality)? I am personally a little apprehensive about blocking it off but if replacing it would be an option I would seriously consider it.
    Yes you can.
    Anyway my opinion for the BOV is to block it and forget about it.

+1
    Well besides the obvious.... MFG...... why is it ok to remove our BOV when he was told to be sure he put it on is FZR. I trust the person that told my friend to do it as much as we trust in Skip on our side. Can our SC handle it better? I am not talkng about flat water riding, I am talking about large lake and offshore water conditions. Granted he has upped his boost also, could that be the reason?
    Is it really worth removing on the 2010 260? Is the difference that noticable? if you regularly check the relief setting is it fine to just leave it on?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information