Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

New info SLTX - hard start, low idle, 5200 rpm max -HELP!

New info -pump gasket issue?
    The guy I bought the skis from said he had the carbs rebuilt the prior year. I don't believe he ran them on the water after that. The 98 did seem a little harder to start that the 96 after a few outings but we had no discernible issue until after it ran out of gas.
    I finally took the carbs off. I am going to replace the lines even though they look good -no gunk or breakdown. I checked the needles and seats they look good with no wear. Internal screens have little or no debris. I have not done a compression test yet but plugs and pistons visually look good and the same.

What I have found is the fuel pump gasket assembly on the mag carb was wrong - they diaphragm was against the carb body, not sandwiched between the gasket and the o ring type that fits in the grooves on the pump housing. The rear carb had some gas present and the mag one had none.

Could this be my issue?

original post:
    http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=107033

+1
    hey there i see your from rochester! im from the geneseo area.. i ride on conesus..

but i would make sure that the carbs where rebuilt the right way.. check compression.. and change fuel lines..

on my sl1050 my tempo lines where starting too turn green inside.. and the carbs ended up needing a rebuild...

We ride mostly on Owasco -no speed limit! What do you ride? Previous owner used to take 'em to Conesus - got a 54.5 mph ticket on one!
    At this point I don't know what else it could be.
    Everything else looks good with carbs. Previous owner said he paid 500 to have carbs etc done on both the 96&98 sltx's...98 only had 34.5 hours and 96 54 hrs - we put 15-20 on each last August.
    No gunk in the lines - that was my first suspect. I am replacing regardless.

I am new to skis/2 strokes but have a clue with bikes and cars.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by ralt33 View Post
    We ride mostly on Owasco -no speed limit! What do you ride? Previous owner used to take 'em to Conesus - got a 54.5 mph ticket on one!
    At this point I don't know what else it could be.
    Everything else looks good with carbs. Previous owner said he paid 500 to have carbs etc done on both the 96&98 sltx's...98 only had 34.5 hours and 96 54 hrs - we put 15-20 on each last August.
    No gunk in the lines - that was my first suspect. I am replacing regardless.

I am new to skis/2 strokes but have a clue with bikes and cars.
    i ride a 97 sl1050 and a 97 sltx

yeah the speed limit on here is a pain but if you know where too look out you can cruise all day long..

ive never been too owasco..where is that?

i would not assume he did them even thought he said he did, unless you know the guy..

im newish to wrenching on skis too.. i just replaced a piston and jug on the sltx..

if the lines are new? and the spark plugs are good.. did you check pop off pressure of the carbs?

did you end up checking compression on the machine having the issues?

do the jetskis have updated ignition systems in them?

the carbs when you disassembled them should of had some fuel in them. Go backwards from the carbs to the fuel pump. The lines at the fuel pump can be not attached correctly. (pulse line,fuel in line and the fuel out lines to the carbs).

if thats checks ok then go to the fuel on/off switch. is that not clogged? or lines attached incorrectly.

if that checks out ok too. Then goin to the fuel tank. is the fuel out line attached to the correct exit nozzle of the fuel tank?

Also while following and checking all the lines make sure they are snug and tight. There should be absoluyely no bends/kinks or sharp turns at the fuel lines too.

It also helps to have the fuel tank full of fuel too. That'll help the fuel reach the fuel pump by gravity and then the fuel pump will push the fuel up to the carbs.

when cranking over the motor spray premix with a spray bottle into the carbs to get it going and primed. Air inside the lines take awhile to clear out especially if there is a air leak thats just impossible to find.

Owasco is a couple east -next over from Cayuga, south of Auburn.

I don't know if they have the updates. I would doubt it with the low hours.

la90043 - Keihin -The fuel pumps are part of the 1st and 3rd carbs, which both feed the middle one. PTO carb had fuel in pump, MAG pump was all but dry. Lines are routed correctly, no gunk, no bends no kinks, clamped or cable ties tightly and in good shape though I will be replacing them. The problem started when it ran out of gas and continued with a full tank.

http://www.sudco.com/Diagrams323728/expcdk.gif

On MAG carb plastic Diaphragm, 34, was against carb and under gasket 39 and correct 37. It should have been between them. This is the only thing I've found wrong with the ski so far.

http://www.shopsbt.com/pdfs/keihincdk2.pdf

prime the carbs with premix. if hard to start opem low speeds a little

they should be 1 3/4 turn out. do 1 turn out plus 1/16 to 1/8 more...............

see how that goes. might want to adjust idle too

also unscrew the spark plug boot from the spark plug wire. snip the wire about 3/16 back to expose new fresh wire. also clean the inside of the boot too where it snaps back into the spark plug. that gets all corroded in there and also you might have old petrified dielectric grease in there too. then screw it back on.

its a 98 SLTX right?

98 sltx is 1 3/4 turn out from litely seated. that the base reference point. yours might need more. maybe 1/16 more or 1/8 more.

la - thanks for the input

http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/showthread.php?t=107033

excerpt from original post above:

I bought a pair of SLTX skis end of July. 1996 with 54 hours and 1998 with 34.5 hours. Carbs and plugs were done last year (claimed spent 500 for carb work - diaphragms etc). They have been running great @55 mph max. The wifes ski is the 1998. Last weekend we think she ran out of gas - we took a can to her and put @ 1/2 gallon in and it took a little and before starting and that was pretty much our day as we were getting ready to quit soon. On the way to the lake yesterday both skis took @ 14.75 gallons. She complained about how hard is was to start but she had complained of that some before. Both seemed to need a couple minutes of warm up and some choking when cold and gas off starts.

Yesterday she said it seemed a bit boggy. My cousin said the same today. I drove it for the first time, ever, and it was quite hard to start and took a lot of adjusting the choke and would die out a number of times before I got it running. Once running it seemed to be ok except maybe not as fast off the line and would only go 37 mph and @5200 rpms. A little later extremely hard to start and keep runniing. I noticed rpms at idle was just a bit over 700 and would ofetn cut out with initial acceleration but once running would max at 37 and @5200 again. My 96 would just pull away from it.

definitely you're bogging from lack of fuel. maybe you have the wrong pop off pressure. that should be 18-20 psi.

there's so many variables that you have to go through the whole thing.

pressurize the fuel tank from the fuel tank check valve. fuel flow has to be abundant doing that. it should flow out of the carb inline fuel hoses like a fire hydrant.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information