Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

2000 Yamaha GP1200R

Hey Guys,

New around the forum, and I am also pretty new to PWCs. My family used to own a Yamaha waverunner when I was younger, but I don't remember any details about it. My dad currently owns a 19' Larson bowrider that we use to ski, wakeboard, etc. I'm 21, and I'm looking to pick up a PWC to have a little extra fun at the lake during the summer. I'm a full time college student, and money is tight so I'm looking at spending about 2500-3000 tops. I found an for a '00 GP1200R, and I want to know what you guys think.

Here's the ad:

"2000 YAMAHA WAVERUNNER PREMIUM MILLENIUM EDITION GP1200R. SUPER FAST, NEAR 70 MPH. OIL INJECTED. LOW HOURS. INCLUDES ALL ALUMINUM TRAILER. WILL THROW IN JET SKI LIFT IF WANTED FOR LAKE CABIN USE. MUST SELL, UNDER BOOK. $2,800.00"

And here is a picture:

The seller offers to throw in a ski lift, but I will trailer the ski to and from the lake when I use it, so the lift won't be purchased. As far as the ski goes, what do you think of the GP1200R? The ad doesn't list hours or anything, so I sent the user the following e-mail to try to get more info.

My email to the seller:

"Hey,

I saw the ad for your 2000 Yamaha GP 1200. How many hours are on the machine? Have you ever had to do any irregular maintenance or replace any parts on the ski? Have you had any trouble with the machine at all?

Thanks,

Mike"

Are there any other questions I should ask? Are there any known problems with the GP1200R?

Does the price seem pretty fair if the sled is in good running shape?

I read a few posts, and compression seems to be a major concern when purchasing a used ski. How can I check the compression on the ski, and what numbers should I look for?

The ad states the ski can break 70. Is it possible for a 1200 to break 70 without any mods?

Thanks for all your help guys. I really appreciate.

Mike

sorry bro but NO breaking 70

Quote Originally Posted by pedruko View Post
    sorry bro but NO breaking 70
    That's what I was thinking. Any comments on the other questions?

70 would be a long shot. I think my ski went 66.7 bone stock on 1/2 tank of gas.

Quote Originally Posted by Hybrid AWD View Post
    70 would be a long shot. I think my ski went 66.7 bone stock on 1/2 tank of gas.
    Come on guys...there are a lot of questions in the OP. Speed isn't my biggest concern.

A stock ski will not do 70 mph. I bet he is just exagerating or going off of the dream-o-meter(stock speedo). I would ask him what mods he has done in order to get the ski close to 70 mph. I would def get the hours & also ask him if he has installed the waveeater clips on the power valves. Also ask him if he removed the Cat conv & installed the D-Plate with exhaust temp sensor override. A pump seal kit sold by RIVA is a great mod for those as well & easy to install.

Quote Originally Posted by MattK1 View Post
    A stock ski will not do 70 mph. I bet he is just exagerating or going off of the dream-o-meter(stock speedo). I would ask him what mods he has done in order to get the ski close to 70 mph. I would def get the hours & also ask him if he has installed the waveeater clips on the power valves. Alos ask him if he removed the Cat conv & installed the D-Plate. A pump seal kit sold by RIVA is a great mod for those as well & easy to install.
    Thanks for the heads up. Is there anything specific I should look out for on the ski? How's the price seem?

Price is decent(for my area anyway). These engines had issues with the oil lines coming loose & blowing engines. If you can test ride it - do it. If you can do a compression check, it would be a smart move. The waveeater clips are more of a engine saver than a mod. The power valve can come loose & fall into the cyl & damage the piston. The clips are installed to hold the valves in place. I feel they are a pretty important thing to do. If he didn't install them, no big deal if the engine runs well. I would urge you to install them when you can.

If I can, I'd definitely take it for a spin before making up my mind. What's it take to do a compression check? Assuming it all runs smooth and everything is in good working order, would you pick it up if you could get it for 2500?

Yes, if all is well, I would pay $2500 for that ski

To do a compression check: Remove all spark plugs, Make sure fuel knob is in OFF position, You have to have a compression gauge that screws into the spark plug hole--install gauge & press start button until needle on gauge stops climbing, Record cyl & reading, Move on to the next cyl & repeat process. Ideal readings are within 10% of each other. The last GPR I checked was a 2001, it had: #1 - 112 psi, #2 - 122 psi, #3 - 118 psi

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information