Talking Only got myself a click

I recently got myself a Polaris SLT 780 in trade for some work. The guy said that the steering cable broke (fixed that already). And it was running when he took it out of the water. Now, I've got the battery fully charged and when I hit the start button all it does is click. I've tried the reset on the Electrical box, but its not been tripped.

In short, what should I look for? And where?

A quick response would be great. Thank you

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Welcome to the Hulk

Remove and clean both ends of all the heavy battery cables, especially at the engine end of the negative cable. Make sure you have clean metal-to-metal contact.

If that doesn't help, use a tool to short the two heavy terminals on the starter solenoid, which is inside the electrical box. Where the two heavy RED wires connect, short them together with a tool. There will be some sparking, so use a firm hand.

If the engine cranks, then the solenoid should be replaced.

The link below should prove useful

I'd check the relay first.. take apart the electrical box and bypass the relay with something (screwdriver) then if that doesn't get it to turn over check connections with a voltmeter or test light, making sure theres power to the relay. If so, and its a bran new battery (check cranking volts if not and if it drops below 10 while cranking replace it) then its probably the starter.

+1
    Take the starter right out of the ski. 2 bolts and the ground wire, clean the ground wire contacts at the battery and the mounting area on the plate. check the end of the wire coinnector for corrosion, clean as necessary.

Bench test starter on table. verify it works. should turn but snuggly when doing it by hand. no grinding.. The stick your finger up the starter hole and get the bendix to move up its helical gear so you know it moves. then spray silicon lube in there and push some grease onto the gear in there.. then put back and try again. it may take a few clicks till it catches again..

otherwise do what those guys said.

these skis are fussy when it comes to batterys. make sure its charged and it works well. it should spin that starter like crazy on the table..

Thanks everyone for the info. I've checked everything, and the solenoid. It seems to be the issue. Now, is there a way I can bypass the solenoid to see if I can turn it over. All I'm wanting to do is make sure it turns over and can pretty much get it started so that I can get it sold. I don't really wanna sell a lemon.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by twistofate27 View Post
    ...I've checked everything, and the solenoid. It seems to be the issue.

Now, is there a way I can bypass the solenoid to see if I can turn it over...
    Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    ...use a tool to short the two heavy terminals on the starter solenoid, which is inside the electrical box.

Where the two heavy RED wires connect, short them together with a tool. There will be some sparking, so use a firm hand.

If the engine cranks, then the solenoid should be replaced...
    How did you decide it was the solenoid, without shorting the two heavy red solenoid terminals together?

solenoid

hi , let me know if you need a solenoid i have one in my shed that is still in the ebox in good shape.
    steve
    10.00 plus shipping to wherever you are

driver
    like those guys said check cables positive and negative clean them up very well but if u hit the stater switch n only click ..for sure ur stater needs to be replace ... hey if u have a place close to ur house where they repair electric parts like stater ,alternators they will fixed it for u at very low price. i did it with my stater and i save a $50.00 good luck

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by payasito View Post
    like those guys said check cables positive and negative clean them up very well but if u hit the stater switch n only click ..for sure ur stater needs to be replace ... hey if u have a place close to ur house where they repair electric parts like stater ,alternators they will fixed it for u at very low price. i did it with my stater and i save a $50.00 good luck
    Stator and Starter are different things.

The tests outlined earlier are valid.

Thread Information