+1

Timer Functions in the Motec.

Found this on page 14, post #140.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by desperado
    Thanks Pete.... I really appreciate your feedback. I will be installing my AEM Uego LSU4 wideband controller now that I received the manifold adapter from Jerry. First, I will want to make observations about the acceleration fuel calibration from idle. I plan on starting with a stable 13.9 to 14.2 afr @ idle and try to calibrate acceleration maps from there.... I really like the tuning over & above 3,500rpm.... so I'll start by trying a few things in the 1,500 to 3,000rpm range first... I'll see where that takes me and will share results. I will follow your recommendation and cut 2* degrees advance until I properly manage intake air charge temperature as well as engine temperature.

To your question about MoTec ease of use compared to Bosch....... there is no contest... the MoTec plateform is much easier and user friendly to work with than the Bosch M7 or M9 ECU families. However, the Bosch M7 & M9 ECU's are among the most sophisticated and powerful (excluding aerospatial and military) engine management systems ever produced. They offer sophisticated adaptative functions, self-learning and correction features and timer based compensation functions that can be linked to actual engine sensor data or predefined extrapolation tables & algorythm. For example, when you WOT the M7 ECU, it will give you a stable 12.5AFR for 10 seconds, then it will start an enrichement routine that will gradually richen fuel to 10:1.... nice way to protect turbocharged engines against detonation on long full power pulls.... when you back off the throttle below 5,500rpm, the timer is resetted and you go back to 12.5 afr for another 10 seconds...

Anyway, to make a long story short... I feel I can do more tuning work after one week with the MoTec plateform than the 3 years it took me to understand no more than 50% of the M7 & M9 technology.... but I had a lot of fun doing research and learned a lot along the way.

Hi
    I am smiling as I write this as we are going to be causing head aches so will keep it short

Your plan sounds good and I look forward to your results and feedback as you navigate our software

I will tell you this thou.

The timer function is in our ECU as well.
    There are multiple timers that can be started from a configured status, one being Wide Open throttle
    I am already using it in our start file to pull ign out after so many seconds, it also has a reset based on a programmable number of seconds
    There is a closed throttle timer as well as 2 generic timers.
    We introduced these a year or 2 ago and for the exact reasons you mentioned are an awesome tool.
    Also have cranking timer, Engine running timer.
    Cant think of any others at the minute.

Good luck for the tune

Cheers

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Gunna View Post
    Found this on page 14, post #140.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by desperado
    Thanks Pete.... I really appreciate your feedback. I will be installing my AEM Uego LSU4 wideband controller now that I received the manifold adapter from Jerry. First, I will want to make observations about the acceleration fuel calibration from idle. I plan on starting with a stable 13.9 to 14.2 afr @ idle and try to calibrate acceleration maps from there.... I really like the tuning over & above 3,500rpm.... so I'll start by trying a few things in the 1,500 to 3,000rpm range first... I'll see where that takes me and will share results. I will follow your recommendation and cut 2* degrees advance until I properly manage intake air charge temperature as well as engine temperature.

To your question about MoTec ease of use compared to Bosch....... there is no contest... the MoTec plateform is much easier and user friendly to work with than the Bosch M7 or M9 ECU families. However, the Bosch M7 & M9 ECU's are among the most sophisticated and powerful (excluding aerospatial and military) engine management systems ever produced. They offer sophisticated adaptative functions, self-learning and correction features and timer based compensation functions that can be linked to actual engine sensor data or predefined extrapolation tables & algorythm. For example, when you WOT the M7 ECU, it will give you a stable 12.5AFR for 10 seconds, then it will start an enrichement routine that will gradually richen fuel to 10:1.... nice way to protect turbocharged engines against detonation on long full power pulls.... when you back off the throttle below 5,500rpm, the timer is resetted and you go back to 12.5 afr for another 10 seconds...

Anyway, to make a long story short... I feel I can do more tuning work after one week with the MoTec plateform than the 3 years it took me to understand no more than 50% of the M7 & M9 technology.... but I had a lot of fun doing research and learned a lot along the way.

Hi
    I am smiling as I write this as we are going to be causing head aches so will keep it short

Your plan sounds good and I look forward to your results and feedback as you navigate our software

I will tell you this thou.

The timer function is in our ECU as well.
    There are multiple timers that can be started from a configured status, one being Wide Open throttle
    I am already using it in our start file to pull ign out after so many seconds, it also has a reset based on a programmable number of seconds
    There is a closed throttle timer as well as 2 generic timers.
    We introduced these a year or 2 ago and for the exact reasons you mentioned are an awesome tool.
    Also have cranking timer, Engine running timer.
    Cant think of any others at the minute.

Good luck for the tune

Cheers

These timer functions are really fun to work with. I have setup serveral fuel and timing compensations to significantly help improve midrange acceleration & power as well as derate/protect the engine on very long wot runs.... they can also be used to setup your own launch control and help with cavitation at initial WOT.

Thread Information