Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    breaker of good things

2 stroke turbo???

I've done a couple of searches on here but not really on the rest of the interwebz. I havent seen anything on here about boosting a 2 smoker. Have there been those who have tried, or is this a subject that no one wants to touch? The only real problem I could forsee is keeping underseat temps down on a ski, but then again there are others that could arise.

Back when I was into quads, I rode a bored and stroked 510 yamaha banshee that had a turbo on it and it screamed (w/ a 14" extended swingarm it'd wheelie around 60 mph, with just the throttle). i believe it was close to 200 hp, and by basic reasoning a 951 with proper mods to the internals, could produce around 400.

I'm thinking of this due to a recent purchase of an 01 RXDI.

your not going to be able to do much with a di boat. they barely run as is and blow up on their own.
    another problem why no one turbo's 2 stroke marine engines is because of the water cooled exhaust. normaly run as a wet pipe on oem ski's. yes there are aftermarket pipes that are completely dry. The other reason is because of the sound and pressure wave in the exhaust inherent by design because of the way a 2 stroke works.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by slociviccoupe View Post
    your not going to be able to do much with a di boat. they barely run as is and blow up on their own.
    another problem why no one turbo's 2 stroke marine engines is because of the water cooled exhaust. normaly run as a wet pipe on oem ski's. yes there are aftermarket pipes that are completely dry. The other reason is because of the sound and pressure wave in the exhaust inherent by design because of the way a 2 stroke works.
    +1

Though I do not agree on the amount of doom and gloom in regards to the DI. I will conceed, however, that when they are bad, they are very bad, and expensive.

They do not lend themselves to mods (though there are some out there, MPEM, head, ect).

It may well be possible to do as you propose. If you have the resources (and by that I mean money, and lots of it) to fix the outright failures and the little "oops, just a bit too much" issues, and do all the fabrication and calculations and so on, then by all means have at it.

Who knows, you may end up with the mod that everyone wants and make a killing on it.

That or you could buy an RXP.

If you where to put boost at a 2 stroke you would blow out the crank seals. The next problem is that at the same for a small amount of time when the intake is open so is the exhaust boost would just flow right out.

I would be awesome to put one on my 787 for a complete sleeper.

A guy I use to race snowmobiles against put turbos on his sleds. Yes 2 stroke, and when they were running properly, they flew.

you said sled, not ski. yes they work on snowmobiles. different world though. no water in the exhaust. snowmibiles have different port timing than watercraft engines. and way different carbs. If you want a turboe'd watercraft then its most likely gona be a 4 stroke.
    and as for the rfi's and di's. I work at a watercraft repai shop. they are horible. The di's mostly. the rfi wasn't too bad. In most cases we convert them to carbs and change all the electronics. We do this after the customer decides the parts and labor will be too much and we get the ski from them.

Quote Originally Posted by KrunchovXPL-GTX-RX View Post
    +1

Though I do not agree on the amount of doom and gloom in regards to the DI. I will conceed, however, that when they are bad, they are very bad, and expensive.

They do not lend themselves to mods (though there are some out there, MPEM, head, ect).

It may well be possible to do as you propose. If you have the resources (and by that I mean money, and lots of it) to fix the outright failures and the little "oops, just a bit too much" issues, and do all the fabrication and calculations and so on, then by all means have at it.

Who knows, you may end up with the mod that everyone wants and make a killing on it.

That or you could buy an RXP.
    Guys correct me if Im wrong on this:
    On fuel injected cars they use the O2 sensor to monitor for lean/rich conditions and adjust air/fuel ratios . To me this would seem to be a barrier to achieving this. Adding a turbo (if it were possible) would most certainly change the air to fuel ratio. The DI does not monitor for lean/rich conditions. You pretty much would have to re-develop the computer system on the DI IMO. Better off attempting to mod a sc 4tec into it or like Krunch suggested just buy an RXP

correct about the o2 sensor. along with all the other sensors. most fuel injection systems are either speed density or MAF. speed density relies on manifold pressure, intake air temp, and throttle position. Where as a MAf system is an electronic flow meeter. Even in the automotive world you can't just add boost to a normaly aspirated engine. things like larger injectors and a way to fool the ecm or reprogram the ecm to recognize what positive manifold pressure is.
    And technically the design of a modern day 2 stroke engine, the crank case is technically supercharged by the piston coming down and compressing the air/fuel/oil mixture in the lower cases. primary compression. Thatmixture is forced up the transfer ports and into the cylinder. piston travels up for the next stroke and compressed the mixture, secondary compression.

yes i know there are turbocharged and supercharged 2 strokes. the well known ones are detroit diesels.

Quote Originally Posted by slociviccoupe View Post
    you said sled, not ski. yes they work on snowmobiles. different world though. no water in the exhaust. snowmibiles have different port timing than watercraft engines. and way different carbs. If you want a turboe'd watercraft then its most likely gona be a 4 stroke.
    and as for the rfi's and di's. I work at a watercraft repai shop. they are horible. The di's mostly. the rfi wasn't too bad. In most cases we convert them to carbs and change all the electronics. We do this after the customer decides the parts and labor will be too much and we get the ski from them.
    I understand watercraft motors and snowmobile motors are slightly different. But yes, same concept of a motor and I am sure it can be done.

And for the water in the exhaust, ask Bill Oneal, he put water injection on a shifter kart (2 stroke as well) motor to see the results like a pwc motor. He was successful on the test as it did basically the same on that as a pwc. So its not that it can't be done, or things are different. Same concept.

Worth it? If you want something totally different and have the money, but if you just want top speed and nothing special then do what krunch said and buy something faster.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information