Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

GP1300r Engine Failure

2003 GP1300r with 130hrs. Compression was perfect on all 3 cylinders last week during service.
    Went out a couple of days ago and all was gong fine, but after approx 1/2 hour, slowed down to pick someone up and heard a strange noise and engine cut out. Tried to restart but all I could hear was a faint clicking when I pressed the start button.
    My first thoughts were the pump had seized. Once I got home removed the plugs and coupler cover to find the shaft seized solid. I took a close look at the plugs and the one from the rear cylinder had traces of what looked like aluminium.
    I removed the head to find rear piston and cylinder damaged. Cylinder looked very very dry. The other 2 cylinders looked perfect. Upon breaking down the engine futher I found the big end bearing disintegrated on the rear cylinder, the bearing had come apart and the bits had caused damaged to the piston/cylinder.
    Again the bottom casing and the bearings on this cylinder were extremely dry. Bearing on either side of the rod were also extremely rough when spun.

Sourced good cylinder and piston. and sent crank out for a rebuild.
    So what caused the failure? I suspected oil pump failure, so I removed it and tested using a drill to rotate it (approx 2300rpm). Oil pulsed very slowly from the lines for cylinder1+2, no oil from no 3. I then removed all three oil lines and blew them out with compressed air. Back on and tested again. Oil now pulsed from the all 3 lines.
    Oil line to rear cylinder must have been blocked some how.
    Any how engine all back together and tested it on water yesterday. Ran perfect but on removing the plugs all 3 seemed very dry and also top of pistons looked dry (Paranoia then set in). Plug colour looked good. So back to workshop and removed oil pump again. Retested and all seemed good. I checked the oil pump set-up as per the manual and it was not correct (pump not open fully a WOT). Adjusted pump cable as per manual.

I am not 100% sure if I still have a problem or not, a bit worried if i run it hte same thing will happen again.

Questions
    1. How much oil should pulse from each line when the engine is cranking and how often? I was told approx 1 pulse every 10 second or so
    2. What is the oil dosing ratio at trolling speed? (30:1 @WOT)
    3. Could a lean condition have caused this failure?
    4. Should the plugs be coated in oil upon removal? I removed the plugs from another 1300r and the plugs were oily.

(sorry for long winded post)

I know the1300r oil pump had a failsafe position if the cable breaks but is the a position on the pump where no oil is being dosed??

+1
    The only answer I can give (and I know you don't want to hear this) but the paranoia goes away when you toss the oil pump and pre-mix, 40:1 has worked great for me for years. Sorry but this is the only answer i will give regarding oil pumps, seen too many trashed cylinders due to cheap oil lines and crappy pumps.

+1
    Best advice:

Get an oil pump block off kit and go premix 40:1. The oil pump doesn't fail but the oil lines can crack, pop off or in your case seems something blocked the oil from getting to the #3 cylinder.

Also the dome on rear cylinder was completely dry, other 2 were oily. Am I looking at just an oil injection problem here or could there be something else I am missing. Premix is prob best way to go just a pain in the ass.

If I was to add premix the fuel for a couple of tanks, fill up the oils tank and keep an eye on the level, how much oil should I add to a tank of fuel with the pump still connected.

The oil injection pumps 100to1 a idle and 30to1 at WOT, I know some gpr1300 had head gasket cooling issue on #3, I had put new clear oil lines on and if i remember right WOT @ cranking speed it pumps about one drop per sec. oil pumps rarely fail if you using yamalube 2w oil only!!!!!

+1
    Not sure what Yamalube has to do with this? seeing how Mikuni makes the oil pumps and does so for several different brands besides Yamaha. Just remember paranoia I am long over it.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by OsideBill View Post
    Not sure what Yamalube has to do with this? seeing how Mikuni makes the oil pumps and does so for several different brands besides Yamaha. Just remember paranoia I am long over it.
    +1 Ride more Worry Less

Quote Originally Posted by OsideBill View Post
    Ive been tinkering, with 2 stroke motocross and ATV's from the 70's-90's and had one oil pump failure, when my step son put yamalube 2m marine in his atv 1996 200blaster that takes yamalube 2s, seized it right up, I was told that by a fellow racer mechanic that the 2m was thicker oil and didnt flow through the smaller injector lines that the atv baster had, yamaha maps there oil injection to a specific oil only!!!! That racer machanic still races a cr250 2stroke in super senior class and uses HP-2 oil so my advice is if your using oil injector pump use the correct oil only!!!!!

After 1 failure with the oil injection line falling off I switched to premix, why take a chance with it go premix.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information