Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    +1

XP hull taking on water!! HELP!!

well I bought a 96 XP800 off here a month ago and took it out today for the first time. I pulled it off the trailer and let it warm up for a few mins. after that I cruised around for about 5mins at half throttle. Then I made a wide open throttle pass and GPS'd the ski at 57mph which i was happy with. well after that I was horsing around for about 15 mins then it start to cut in and out. I started to head for the loading ramp and half way there it died. I pulled it outta the water and popped the seat and it had 6-8 inches of water in the hull. I drained the hull and pulled the plugs. cranked it over and as I guess it had sucked some water. I got the motor as dry as I could and lubed the crap out of it. got it home and it fired it up but I notice on the left side of the motor where the pipe runs under around it you can hear water running with the hose hooked up. is their anything on the back side of the engine down there that can leak?? I'm scared the pipe is cracked or the block is cracked. BTW i was told this ski was reringed right before I bought it if that helps at all. this is not the way I wanted to start the season!

thanks Bill

+1
    sounds like a hose poped off one of the two cooling exits on the back side of the jugs. just start tugging on all the waterlines to make sure they are all attached.

Quote Originally Posted by mibunkerking View Post
    sounds like a hose poped off one of the two cooling exits on the back side of the jugs. just start tugging on all the waterlines to make sure they are all attached.
    +1 same thing happened to mine, mine popped off right at the rear exit where i couldnt see, so I tilted the trailer up, stuck a hose in the hull, and looked to see where water was coming out

"Tearing it up on the water" seadoobutch787's Avatar
    If your main pump line came off your temp sensor should be going off like crazy, unless it is junk. I would also check the hose clamp on the rear exhaust pipe, it's kind of a biatch to get at but it needs to be checked. Or your pipe could have a crack and allowing water in the hull. Also check the caulk around the 2 bailers. Good luck!

flyin' the friendly skies airbornexp's Avatar
    +1
    If you find your pipe is junk I have a whole exhaust for your ski

also never run the hose without having the engine running. remember this....

engine on, water on...water off, engine off. otherwise you may hydrolock the engine.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by airbornexp View Post
    If you find your pipe is junk I have a whole exhaust for your ski

also never run the hose without having the engine running. remember this....

engine on, water on...water off, engine off. otherwise you may hydrolock the engine.
    yeah, I knew that. you can hear it when you shut the motor and water off. It's like it's bleeding pressure off some where back there. My buddy has a spec 2 exhaust laying around for it. I didn't know he had it, but I also don't know if it's worth putting it on a stock ski. I wouldn't mind it being a little faster but I don't want it being any less reliable. I was gonna mod it at first but then, I changed my mind.

Sounds like one of the hoses coming off the bottom of the cylinders came off... Something simple!

+1
    I was playing with it the other night and their are two hoses that come off the bottom of the cylinders and go into a plastic T fitting. the hose that connects to the T fitting is laying in the bottom of the hull. the shitty part is I gotta pull the pipe to get to it.

"Tearing it up on the water" seadoobutch787's Avatar
    Yeah that one is a biatch to get your hand to without the chamber taken out. Chit if you pull the pipe you might as well put that spec 2 on that boat. With just a re jetted carb and some good air filters your boat will do 60-61mph and will run on 93 octane.

Alot of tuning with that pipe tho, but if you know how its worth it

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information