removing water box?

hello, have a slightly modded spx with a 720 in it. factory pipe, water injection, 800 i series jet boat carbs, and prop.
    my question is can the water box be removed? I have the round transom hull and want to add rear exhaust. would like to go straight from the tail cone of the pipe straight out the back. noise is not an issue. its a surf boat.
    I mean my standup had side exhaust and was real peppy down low. id like to get my sea doo this way. Or is the oem water box part of the tuned pipe system?

bump, no one knows if the water box can be removed without sacrificing the back pressure on the pipe.

like i stated before my 750 sx had a factory pipe with side exhaust and no water box and seemed fine.
    want to make my sea doo loud as hell and real peppy down low. also clean up inside the hull with straight exhaust out the back, no water box or cross over pipe.

"noise is not an issue. its a surf boat." Thats why Daytona has rules about wear you can ride and surfers hate us so much next to the stink of 2stroke exhaust. You need a water box in surf more than other places. It does several things and being a muffler is a byproduct. If you notice they come in different sizes. They will allow your engine to crank a good while before it sucks up water it also acts as a water lift to keep the water in the upper pipe at a minimum and to allow you to have a high arc in the outlet pipe to keep water out when it sittin still with a big load. It probably also helps slow the water crammed up the pipe when you land a big one.... You do what you want but for me dont do it you and we will be sorry. I can hear a Yamaha with its woooooh wooooh miles away not yards. Sound carrys a long way on water.

breaker of good things
    Quote Originally Posted by PEST! View Post
    "noise is not an issue. its a surf boat." Thats why Daytona has rules about wear you can ride and surfers hate us so much next to the stink of 2stroke exhaust. You need a water box in surf more than other places. It does several things and being a muffler is a byproduct. If you notice they come in different sizes. They will allow your engine to crank a good while before it sucks up water it also acts as a water lift to keep the water in the upper pipe at a minimum and to allow you to have a high arc in the outlet pipe to keep water out when it sittin still with a big load. It probably also helps slow the water crammed up the pipe when you land a big one.... You do what you want but for me dont do it you and we will be sorry. I can hear a Yamaha with its woooooh wooooh miles away not yards. Sound carrys a long way on water.
    +1

they keep water out and a little backpressure from it depending on your port timing can help increase bottom grunt. on top end when you're hammered on it it blows the water out for the most part and all the gasses have to do is make a slightly restrictive 90* turn. IMO you lose more than youd gain. but if you do remove the water box amke sure you exhaust piping runs at well above the water level after it leaves your stinger. this'll keep water (for the most part) out of your motor...

ok so what will happen if we gut the watter box. as you have seen the pipes still go down in the box it self. i would like to take out the extra pipe sience taking out the box completeley. i have same motor same hull and all.

Thread Information