Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    +1

Can you use degreaser in engine bay?

My 260 engine bay is spottless exept around the pully's.
    There's black oil splatted all around that area, can I prop the trailer up real high at the front and spray degreaser all around the engine bay? can anyone find a reason why I shouldn't do that.I also have the pully cover off.

+1
    done it many times, i wash inside the hull after every ride with a pressure washer and sometimes degreaser just dont have the water jet nozzle to close to the belt as you will damage it. i then use a garden blower and dry it all out, a day or so later i coat with lanotech.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by nicjak View Post
    done it many times, i wash inside the hull after every ride with a pressure washer and sometimes degreaser just dont have the water jet nozzle to close to the belt as you will damage it. i then use a garden blower and dry it all out, a day or so later i coat with lanotech.
    I pressure clean whole bay after every ride aswell but for some reason its real black around those pully's. is that normal?

+1
    thats normal, belt fibres, grease and whatever else you have sprayed around.

Quote Originally Posted by wot recession View Post
    I pressure clean whole bay after every ride aswell but for some reason its real black around those pully's. is that normal?

+1
    thats normal, belt fibres, grease and whatever else you have sprayed around.
    Cheers. By the way us Queenslanders showed the victorian how to go fast.

+1
    i heard maybe he might pay me a visit when he returns should have mine on the water by next weekend and be able to finish tuning his brothers at the same time. then he will be even more envious.

Quote Originally Posted by wot recession View Post
    Cheers. By the way us Queenslanders showed the victorian how to go fast.

+1
    i heard maybe he might pay me a visit when he returns should have mine on the water by next weekend and be able to finish tuning his brothers at the same time. then he will be even more envious.
    Im glad your almost ready to ride. I think he will spend some money on mods very soon.It blows me away how his brother is making all those changes but doesn't ride the thing.

Don't use a pressure washer on your engine. The reason is elementary, you can drive water in under oil seals from the high pressure plus the seal is designed to keep oil pressure in and not water pressure out.

The sensible method is to spray WD 40 (a mild solvent) on the grease laden area, then rinse off with a squirt bottle containing soapy water followed by low pressure fresh water rinse (garden hose with fine spray). Let dry and coat the engine with ACF 50, rust check or similar protection. Do not spray solvent on the belt, it may react badly.
    Sometimes a small brush will help to remove very old mung deposits at the WD-40 step.

Guys guys ruin wheel bearings on PWC trailers with high pressure washers. Many motorcycle guys are smart enough to stay away from pressure washers for critical areas like wheel bearings, engine shaft seals etc.

RT

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by rotortiller View Post
    Don't use a pressure washer on your engine. The reason is elementary, you can drive water in under oil seals from the high pressure plus the seal is designed to keep oil pressure in and not water pressure out.

The sensible method is to spray WD 40 (a mild solvent) on the grease laden area, then rinse off with a squirt bottle containing soapy water followed by low pressure fresh water rinse (garden hose with fine spray). Let dry and coat the engine with ACF 50, rust check or similar protection. Do not spray solvent on the belt, it may react badly.
    Sometimes a small brush will help to remove very old mung deposits at the WD-40 step.

Guys guys ruin wheel bearings on PWC trailers with high pressure washers. Many motorcycle guys are smart enough to stay away from pressure washers for critical areas like wheel bearings, engine shaft seals etc.

RT
    When I say pressure clean I dont shove the nozzle down inside the bay so it's not right against any seals

+1
    you are also correct but use your brains and you have no issues 122hrs and a ski that is 3yrs old and i'm yet to have a problem caused from washing out my hull with a hot pressure washer. done the same on my previous ski for years and no issues done the same to all my bikes no issues do the same on all my cars no issues do the same daily on engines we service and no issues caused from water.
    your choice rototiller but my way removes all traces of salt. and guess what no corrosion either.

Quote Originally Posted by rotortiller View Post

RT

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information