Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

expensive dealer engine rebuild to stock

2006 GPR 1300

guys i had a piston let go this weekend ( 174 hrs on clock ) , i am now faced with the equivilant local price to 5,200 USD for a complete engine overhaul back to stock.

i have a few mods on already , riva pipe , 3 deg nozzle, 87 mm exit nozzle , 1200 grate ,solas dyna fly ,pump seal kit etc ,, we ride off shore in the middle east so top speed is not my real aim.

question : would i be better spending the engine rebuild cost on more performance internals for similar cost , we all like more power and speed,

i am mechanicaly minded and have access to machine shops etc.

what will 5k get me and improve my ski's use in 3-4 feet chop.

many thanks for advice in advance
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	22042010682.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	850.1 KB 
ID:	184851   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	22042010683.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	886.6 KB 
ID:	184852  
    Last edited by stewartgpr; 04-25-2010 at 07:43 AM. Reason: typo

+1
    Are you sure that you mean $52000 USD? Or do you mean $5200? $52000 will buy you a few new skis and you could completely mod them out. If its $5200 then I will let the others chime in and they will let you know what they think.

typo

yes sorry for the Typo , 5,200 USD rebuild price

"i am mechanicaly minded and have access to machine shops etc.

what will 5k get me and improve my ski's use in 3-4 feet chop."

I don't think you are going to get anything beyond what the ski came with new if the dealer rebuilds it.

My opinion, get with some of the good 2 stroke guys on GH and build her up good and right.

Heck, for a little bit more you have a brand new SHO motor for a GPRSHO Conversion

+1
    used cylinder and piston, 500 us, 2 new piston kits $340, top end gasket kit $175. 4 hours and your back on the water. No where close to 5200. Is the head banged up or did it survive. one cylinder scored or more? They are pricing you for a new oem cylinder which is expensive along with all other parts and labor

Contact oside bill and lowell horning. Lowell can do some porting for you and Bill will put those carbs in shape if you have and you should still be under 5 k and a bad ass dependable ski.Contact them, there great to deal with. I can probably get you hooked up with a new oem factory engine for that price if you want to go back stock also. I can get big discounts from my dealer on large purchases.

+1
    get him a set of 06 gp1300 carbs.

Fat Man, Little Boat Region8Ultra250X's Avatar
    +1
    send it to west coast porting aka water woody.... in return you'll receive a beast of a motor

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by crashhard View Post
    get him a set of 06 gp1300 carbs.
    yeah I am sure Clint did not read the whole thing, he is more up on this stuff then that He's a good guy to deal with, and was only trying to help. But it is funny.

Now on to matters at hand for 5K you can have one hell of a motor, the shipping fees are the killer so factor in $1500 for shipping both ways and you have $3500 left. still enough to get a decent motor done. I have seen ported 1300 motors for sale here for less then that, maybe this would be the best choice for you. to buy an already proven motor and have it shipped.

Thanks for advice so far

i just visited the dealer today , i have a good relationship with then through sponsoring me with race bikes.

this engine failure is more terminal than we thought , i had holed the crank case and now need a new crank case assy ,, also there are a couple of springs broken in my thottle body assy ( wondered why i lost a bit top end speed)

i will check with local dealers of these 2 parts mentioned above if i cannot source local then i will be looking to ship in from USA as the local dealer will take 2 months to order and arrive.

anyone have a crank case and good set of throttle bodies similar to oem prices

one piston and pot will need replacing as seen in pics , i will have the other two barrels honed and new rings fitted.

all other parts are in stock to complete this rebuild , looks like i may go back to stock and complete overhaul.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information