Waverunner III won't start once hot

I've done some searches and have not found a similar problem. It's a 650cc, carbs rebuilt and runs great. Only issue is once it's ridden for a while and I get back to shore, it won't start until it cools down. I've pulled the fuse and it seemed to help, but not consistently. When I hit the ignition button, nothing when it's hot. Doesn't turn over, no noises, nada. Once cooled down all is good again. If it's an electrical issue, any specifics where I should start trouble shooting? No corrosion evident in the box.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by lesniewv View Post
    I've done some searches and have not found a similar problem. It's a 650cc, carbs rebuilt and runs great. Only issue is once it's ridden for a while and I get back to shore, it won't start until it cools down. I've pulled the fuse and it seemed to help, but not consistently. When I hit the ignition button, nothing when it's hot. Doesn't turn over, no noises, nada. Once cooled down all is good again. If it's an electrical issue, any specifics where I should start trouble shooting? No corrosion evident in the box.

Thanks!
    my guess, its not the fuse ,its something near to where your fooling around... my best hunch loose connection inside the electrical box ( starter solinoide or negative grounding post) or a simple ground issue at the block were the cable bolts... if the 650 is like the 500 the feed is hard wired from the engine to the box...
    one other culprit is the starter switch or the kill safty switch, they sometimes loose contact(corrosion internaly) and you have to cycle them a number of times for them to finally make connection ( these have connectors that can split and continuity metered to find the fault)

Thanks for the reply. I'll go over all the connections and see what I can find. I wasn't thinking loose connection because it always starts right up when it's cold (well as right up as a 1993 2-stroke can). Only does this when it is hot, but maybe there's a connection that's right on the line as far as being loose and a little heat changes things up? Thanks for the lead.

I recently had the same issue with a 2006 Yamaha VX110. The ski would start great most of the time however, for some unknown reason it just would not start after use. And it did not do this every time it was used. when the problem happened, the start button did not do anything. I would disconnect and reconnect the battery and then it would start.

What I found was the "Main/Fuel Pump Relay" was faulty. I pulled the fuse box out and tested all the relays; starting with the starter relay and the main/fuel pump relay failed the test.

I hope this helps with your problem.

Thread Information