Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    +1

Bearings,,what are we gonna do...ugh.

I was working on the pump stators today and found some interesting observations from both skis.

Heres a couple pics of our FAMOUS "NTN " bearings made in the good ol USA. I'm not impressed. lol They were in my 6-vane stators off the pro and the slx. I'm guessing original equipment, never been changed.

The interesting thing here was that the 2 forward bearing spin perfect with no noise or dragging and BOTH the rear ones were like you see in the pics all rusted and corroded.. And on BOTH, you could feel some drag in the rear bearings and a tiny noise coming from them..

What does this observation mean? I don't know myself.. looks like the rear bearings have had water intrusion and the front ones haven't.

...I think they need to be ceramic down there. no corrosion, lighter weight, less mass, twice as hard, better lubricity,lower temp, higher rpms.

What do you think? same exact results from BOTH skis different owners.. thats data right there. can anyone attest to this observation on thier skis?? or something close? or totally different situation? Any luck with different types other than oem?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_1162.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	613.2 KB 
ID:	184952   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_1163.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	571.2 KB 
ID:	184953   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_1164.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	604.4 KB 
ID:	184954  

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    In general, the stock/normal pump bearings last a long time.

Sometimes the tail cones develop hairline cracks that let water seep in, and of course there is just a single O-ring seal to keep the tail cavity watertight. A close inspection is required to check for cracks.

On later model years Polaris added a rubber tail cone gasket (Item 33, 5811984 Seal, Tail Cone), which you can also retrofit to the earlier 148mm modular jet pumps. It might help with the sealing.

You can try using a ceramic bearing in there. It would need to be happy being clamped between the stub shaft and the internal pump spacer. Check tolerances carefully before torquing up the impeller.

Eventually any water in the rear housing is going to work its way forward, and the water may degrade the grease in the rear ceramic bearing.

If you decide to try it, let us know what you find.

+1
    The gasket seal was in place in 1 of the bearing tail cones. not sure if it was there for the bearings lifetime or not, but.. no cracks in the cone either.. condensation must seep in there somehow.. I'm using a gasket on the one I have now on the pump cone.

I also packed the cone solid with grease to keep the water out.

When I find a decent deal on a bearing of some sort, hybrid or other..I'll let ya know..

+1
    You think to much
    Just get it back together and enjoy it
    Quit tring to reinvent the wheel it's been round for over 100 yrs ,less thinking and more riding is my theory

RizzO
    +1
    who needs bearings anyway. lol

+1
    It's better than scanning ebay and buying things instead of saving for my motor!

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by bowsniper View Post
    Heres a couple pics of our FAMOUS "NTN " bearings made in the good ol USA. I'm not impressed. lol They were in my 6-vane stators off the pro and the slx. I'm guessing original equipment, never been changed.

The interesting thing here was that the 2 forward bearing spin perfect with no noise or dragging and BOTH the rear ones were like you see in the pics all rusted and corroded.. And on BOTH, you could feel some drag in the rear bearings and a tiny noise coming from them..
    LOL... I gotta say Bow, sometimes I have a hard time following your logic.

So by your own words, your guessing they're original, and they're rusty and corroded, making noise, and that you're not impressed.

I guess what you're saying is that when you come across a steel, rusty, corroded bearing that spins free and makes no noise you'll be impressed?

I mean, what do you expect?

Quote Originally Posted by 785 lugs View Post
    You think to much
    Just get it back together and enjoy it
    Quit tring to reinvent the wheel it's been round for over 100 yrs ,less thinking and more riding is my theory
    Lugs is right. If you got a good bearing in there, tight and sealed and everything is correct, you could possibly run the rest of your PWC'ing life on those bearings.
    Stop reinventing the wheel buddy!!!

I used the wsm kits to rebuild my pumps, they feel kinda skimpy but time will tell, can these bearings be put in a bearing packer and be repacked?

ive got the very bearing brand new sitting here on my desk

If you are looking for ceramic bearings you should be able to find them here. http://www.vxb.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc They have hybrid ceramic to full ceramic bearings from around $30 to several hundred $.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information