Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Disaster strikes...nearly sunk my fzr today

Finally fitted all my parts...R2 ecu, power shot, C-3, Type 9 intercooler, part of the RD cooling kit, RD ride plate, riva thru hull exhaust. Got on the water today and rode for two hour with a top speed of 75.5mph (about 10c air temperature, Sea level) at 7900 rpm and 10psi of boost. Started around the back of the island and notice my boost gauge was acting funny, slowed down and when i came off plane my feet where soaked. I was sinking. Managed to fight it back on plane and make it to shore. Pulled the seat off to find that i had water nearly to the top of my oil filter!!!! Ski ran a bit sluggish but nothing to alarming happened on my way to shore. The bilge pump would only run when i hit the start button (just lightly, no cranking). Got it all sucked out and by this point id been hit by some huge waves, nearly flipping the ski and filling my pump, nozzle with rocks. So when i bumped it over the pump made some go awful noises. I determined at that point that i had a water leak, the hull wasnt comprised. So i got towed home. Just about to head out and check it out. Initial inspection on the beach i found nothing out of the ordinary. At this point only the erratic boost guage has me nervous. Gonna pull the plugs just in case...

That had to be a scary moment - at least you didn't sink. I'd be interested in knowing what caused it...

+1
    Any chance the drain plugs managed to come out while riding? only thing that I can think of....

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeFZR View Post
    Any chance the drain plugs managed to come out while riding? only thing that I can think of....
    what about the rubber hose that seals the driveline coming into the intermediate shaft. this sounds familiar to what happened to a seadoo last year in socal.

+1
    There is a water hose leaking some where! Dry out the hull and put ski back in the water and test run it in the water on the trailer with the seats off and look for where the water is coming in while the ski is running, On a side note: I all ways re wire the oem bilge pump to a toggle switch so I can run it while the engine is off just incase this ever happens, since the pump only runs if the engine is running, It turns it self off .30 seconds after the engine is stopped! Tommy Jordan

Found the leak, repaired it. The hose going from the top of the rectifier to the front of the exhaust manifold burst (split, grenaded). Gonna go out on a limb here and say the leaving my thermostat in may have been the cause. Still gonna pull the intake and plugs, boost gauge still reads erratic so i fear there may be moisture in the sender. On a positive note, ski ran great. Intercooler seemed to work, i couldnt put my hand on the sc outlet and the outlet on the ic wasnt even warm. RD rideplate feels nice in the chop.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug78 View Post
    Found the leak, repaired it. The hose going from the top of the rectifier to the front of the exhaust manifold burst (split, grenaded). Gonna go out on a limb here and say the leaving my thermostat in may have been the cause. Still gonna pull the intake and plugs, boost gauge still reads erratic so i fear there may be moisture in the sender. On a positive note, ski ran great. Intercooler seemed to work, i couldnt put my hand on the sc outlet and the outlet on the ic wasnt even warm. RD rideplate feels nice in the chop.
    Why wasn't the bilge pump working? Any answer?
    Last edited by Jack B; 04-27-2010 at 05:00 PM.

+1
    Hi

Glad your pwc didn't sink. Does the bilge pump in these go on with a float switch?, so when they detect water they automatically turn on?

regards,

OZFXSHO

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Doug78 View Post
    Finally fitted all my parts... part of the RD cooling kit...
    Can you tell us exactly what you installed and what you left in place regarding the cooling system? Were ball valves installed on the extra cooling supplies possibly installed with the kit?

I changed out the exhaust plate, installed the extra intercooler feed line, extra engine feed line. Did not remove my thermostat or install the oil cooler line, intercooler bypass line. Couldnt see where i would install the bypass line with the intercooler. I ride a lot in cold weather, cold water and know from work the engines dont like to run to cold. No ball valves installed, yet. I have a bunch in the shop. Considering installing one in the addded engine cooling line and restricting the water flow. But its not the most accurate way to solve the issue. I dont want this happening again.

I have know way of knowing if my bilge was working when i was riding, but it did work when i was beached. I just had to keep it running manually. I intend on wiring in a indicator light to tell me if the bilge pump is running.

all of this is likely caused by leaving my thermostat in, creating a immense amount of back pressure in my cooling system. Would like some input before moving on. But at this point i think ill just close of the extra engine line and take advantage of the decent weather (15 celsius today). flying back to camp on friday so i want to get some ride time in.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information