Anything else before I hit water?

With this newly purchased Polaris (actually a 95 not 97)http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...=STRK:MEWAX:IT
    Ive-- checked the compression (excellent), checked spark (excellent), replaced stock fuel pump with the Mikuni 3-outlet pump, replaced fuel lines, new battery, new spark plugs, converted over to premix, got the mfd to work (thanks to K447's page), applied grease and checked/cleaned the inside and outside of hull. I know someone will say i should rebuild carbs but previous owner stated he did that (also he fine tuned) when he rebuilt engine. Anything else i should do before I hit the water next weekend? Btw it will be first time EVER for me on a jet ski.

First off the ski looks cool, ive got a 97 780SLT

Few things ive learnt as im new to all this as well, so far i have now got 1 river outing 1 lake outing and 2 sea launchs under my belt now lol

Something i found with my ski was the exhaust screen valve was bunged up have u checked ur's??

Things to check before u hit the water:
    1. Even though the battery is new check the voltage is good espically if u leave the battery connected all the time
    2. Ensure you put the bung in at the back of the ski, u dont want the sinking feeling
    3. Take a range of tools etc with u, u never know what u made need
    4. Before u go off skiing leave the ski on its trailer let it tick over whilst in the drink and then check running temp etc before going out
    5. When ur in the water about to start make sure u use the choke lol, not like me who floate for about 15mins trying to start it and then remembered the choke oops, that was on my first outing though
    6. Test your lanyard ensure it works etc
    7. Try and get someone to go out with u just in case u run in to trouble on ur first go
    8. Where a PFD
    And the most important rule have fun and enjoy, i know i am

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Don't be in a rush to get out on the water. Take the time to check things over. Go step by step.

Leave it strapped to the trailer front and rear, and backed down the ramp until the jet pump intake is fully submerged. Leave the seat off. Now you can run it as long as necessary to verify that it is working properly. No water leaks, no fuel leaks, nothing loose or rubbing as the engine vibrates.

You can throttle up to confirm the engine is responding properly. It should not hesitate, bog down in RPM, or die unexpectedly, no matter how you manipulate the throttle.
    Tip: Set the parking brake in the tow vehicle, and really make sure is is tightly strapped down. The jet pump can produce a lot of thrust.

Riding buddy - having someone with you is important. If something happens to the machine, or you, you want another boat there.

Review the towing process, so you know what to do. For towing at any speed about a walking pace, you must clamp off the water feed hose before being towed.

Have a tow rope, and review how you would hook it up while on the water. The bow eye is very low, so it is hard to reach while standing on the ski.

Review the riding safety information in the owner's manual.

There is also lots of good info posted and linked from the riding forums on Greenhulk. Attitude, preparation, and clear thinking are as important as equipment.

Plan to ride safe, and enjoy your time on the water.

She likes the bike. But the ski gets her wet!!!! xlint89's Avatar
    +1
    Welcome to the Hulk.

Make sure your drain plug is installed.

You won't believe how may people have forgotten that little sucker.

You see it alot in the early spring as new people start to hit the water, and the veterans forgot their routines for launching.

Quote Originally Posted by xlint89 View Post
    Welcome to the Hulk.

You see it alot in the early spring as new people start to hit the water, and the veterans forgot their routines for launching.
    I nearly done that on friday hence its on the list lol

If it wasnt for the guy who was launching me ski saying i would of sunk

Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    Don't be in a rush to get out on the water. Take the time to check things over. Go step by step.

Leave it strapped to the trailer front and rear, and backed down the ramp until the jet pump intake is fully submerged. Leave the seat off. Now you can run it as long as necessary to verify that it is working properly. No water leaks, no fuel leaks, nothing loose or rubbing as the engine vibrates.

You can throttle up to confirm the engine is responding properly. It should not hesitate, bog down in RPM, or die unexpectedly, no matter how you manipulate the throttle.
    Tip: Set the parking brake in the tow vehicle, and really make sure is is tightly strapped down. The jet pump can produce a lot of thrust.

Riding buddy - having someone with you is important. If something happens to the machine, or you, you want another boat there.

Review the towing process, so you know what to do. For towing at any speed about a walking pace, you must clamp off the water feed hose before being towed.

Have a tow rope, and review how you would hook it up while on the water. The bow eye is very low, so it is hard to reach while standing on the ski.

Review the riding safety information in the owner's manual.

There is also lots of good info posted and linked from the riding forums on Greenhulk. Attitude, preparation, and clear thinking are as important as equipment.

Plan to ride safe, and enjoy your time on the water.

Will do!

Just snoozin' on the couch M447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by xlint89 View Post
    Welcome to the Hulk.

Yup. Checked that off the list a couple of years ago. Now I keep a stick in the glovebox. Yes, a stick. Actually a short tree branch. It's an odd enough item to notice that it doesn't belong on the ski. When I put my stuff in the box and my stick is still there, I know the plugs are still out. It's been in the glovebox all winter.

Works like a charm...

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by M447 View Post
    Y..I keep a stick in the glovebox. Yes, a stick. Actually a short tree branch. It's an odd enough item to notice that it doesn't belong on the ski.

When I put my stuff in the box and my stick is still there, I know the plugs are still out. It's been in the glovebox all winter.

Works like a charm...
    Our poor man's version of the 'Remove before flight' reminder tags used on aircraft.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Chutes-FlightTagLg.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	14.6 KB 
ID:	185659  

Thread Information