Thread: 1998 XP

1998 XP

What are your guys' thoughts on the '98 XP? There is one on locally that needs a little work, but I could probably pick it up for 1000 or less. Here's the ad:

http://siouxfalls.craigslist.org/boa/1710287309.html

"I have a 1998 Sea Doo Jet Ski that had the motor rebuilt in the Summer of 2009 with a trailer, new battery, tow rope, tube and 4 matching life jackets. The power trim, gas and oil guages do not work. This is a purchase as is and can hear it run. I am asking $1250 for all of this or best offer. "

Pics:

How much work/money would it take to fix things? Would it be worth the time/money/effort?

flyin' the friendly skies airbornexp's Avatar
    +1
    it looks fairly clean...as long as it has good compression Id say go for it. Gauges are easy to find.

Quote Originally Posted by airbornexp View Post
    it looks fairly clean...as long as it has good compression Id say go for it. Gauges are easy to find.
    What do these skis put out for power? How reliable are they?

flyin' the friendly skies airbornexp's Avatar
    +1
    its got 135HP. Its as reliable as you want to make it... as in take care of it and it will take care of you. this can be a pretty quick ski with the right mods.

I'm not hugely concerned about speed, but how fast can I expect to run with this ski? What am I looking at with some basic/cheaper mods?

Low-mid 60s. DO NOT MODIFY IT. Leave it alone. Fun ski as-is. If it showed up in my area at that price, it would be in my driveway right now.

Why the hell would he try to pull a tube with it? All it will do is wheelie up and go nowhere...

Quote Originally Posted by Powerslave View Post
    Low-mid 60s. DO NOT MODIFY IT. Leave it alone. Fun ski as-is. If it showed up in my area at that price, it would be in my driveway right now.
    What's the reasoning behind suggesting to not modify it? Lack of aftermarket or what?

Banned User
    No the 951cc motor is not very reliable once u start to modify it, I have built many of these into race rockets and they require lots of wrenching once u start changing things. Leave the motor and fuel system stock and change out the prop and the sponsons and the intake grate and u will be fine.

Thread Information