Electrical Problem with 2001 Polaris Virage

I have two on-going issues with my ski that I wanted to ask about.

1. My Start/Stop button only starts my Ski. It won't turn off the ski, when you press it nothing happens while the ski is running. If you pull the lanyard it will immedaitely stop and this has been my solution since buying it. After having it beached twice by friends this weekend (after telling them to pull the lanyard about 15 feet from shore), I'm looking for a new solution.

2. My control / display unit never turns off. It will keep running till my battery dies. My solution has been to disconnect the batter when storing but this has been a bit of a pain. Any ideas why it would always stay powered on, I saw some notes on CDI/MDI service (Red/Purple to Orage) but I'm not sure if this is related and I'm not sure what the Red/Purple to Orage means. I tried to look at some pictures/diagrams, but most links were broken so I wasn't sure what to check in my ski to see if this fix has been applied.

Thanks!

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Welcome

Broken links?
    Point them out, and we will see what can be done...

I suspect the LR-503 (or LR-505) Start/Stop module has failed.

If the wiring is all stock configuration, then replace the LR module.

The clock on the MFI is supposed to always be visible. I suspect the LR module is also draining your battery.

Polaris PWC Parts Sources

Also have a look at the link in my signature

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1

+ 1 on the stop start module

since you're new...let me say that K447 is the wizard of all things polaris.

Polaris are know to run batteries down due to some module fault that keeps the ignition hot, quite a few I wrench have on/off switches installed on the main battery lines.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by nmpeter View Post
    ...due to some module fault that keeps the ignition hot, quite a few I wrench have on/off switches installed on the main battery lines.
    Would these mainly be on red domestic engines?

1996-2000 models?

Hay guys,

Thank you very much for the quick replys. I'll look into getting the LR switch, is there a way to see the model I have installed LR-503 or LR-505? If this is draining my power and the source of my broken stop button, I definitely want to get it fixed ASAP.

I was also thinking of a on/off switch on my battery and now that I know the clock is supposed to stay on, it sounds like this is a good idea for when I'm storing the ski during winter.

Thanks again for all the great info!!!

+1
    The clock display does not really drain the battery.

The battery itself self-discharges over time (in a properly operating Polaris PWC), even if nothing is connected to it. Connect a battery maintainer, such as Battery Tender.

AND install a factory sealed AGM battery, like the Odyssey PC625. Does not self-discharge like a regular lead-acid battery. Very good choice for PWC use

You can check the part number for your LR module on the Polaris Industries parts web site.

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    Would these mainly be on red domestic engines? 1996-2000 models?
    yeah pretty much..we had a rental operation here a few years ago and that was the machine they had..must be a dozen or two of them still in use around here. Might have been used as your basic theft prevention device.

I have a pair in the shop now showing over 500 hours on the meter! Typical fuel line problems.

Drawing an AGM battery down slowly will kill it. Odyssey has a bulletin on seadoos regarding disconnection of the hot lead over the winter.

I've become a big fan of smarter battery chargers over the last year. I saw a walmart maintenance free battery yesterday that had been overcharged..it obvioulsy outgassed and when it cooled down the case warped inwards. Didn't charge too well after that.

meanwhile..the start stop module business..no third party replacements for that bit eh? Gots to be a wallet flattener for sure.

Guys,

I've done some looking around and I've found where my LR unit is housed but I'm still not sure how to find my exact model (I can't figure out how to lookup my hin # "USPLE078690000" on the Polair Industries website. Can anybody provide some URL's on where to lookup the specification for my ski and find part numbers needed to order a LR replacement.

Here is a look at my control box, is there a way I can check to see if my LR module is bad or if I can apply the fix from the service bulletin for the LR module and orange wire?

Thanks!

Zach

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by zhunter View Post
    Guys,

I've done some looking around and I've found where my LR unit is housed but I'm still not sure how to find my exact model (I can't figure out how to lookup my hin # "USPLE078690000" on the Polaris Industries website. Can anybody provide some URL's on where to lookup the specification for my ski and find part numbers needed to order a LR replacement.

Here is a look at my control box, is there a way I can check to see if my LR module is bad or if I can apply the fix from the service bulletin for the LR module and orange wire?

Thanks!

Zach
    The HIN number is only useful for a dealer to look things up.

For your own purposes, use the Polaris Industries parts cross reference guide - use the model year and exact model to find the correct parts listing.

Some of the online parts sellers also have part number listings, but I recommend check part number directly on the Polaris site. Then you can go shopping for the needed parts at the other sites.

Polaris PWC Parts Sources

Keep in mind that in some cases the original part number may have been superseded by a newer/better part number, or just a functionally equivalent replacement.

Good used parts are also available from several sources.

Take the time to read through and click the links below;

Polaris Domestic (red) engine

LR voltage regulator and Start/Stop modules

I see a non-standard blue wire crimp connector in there. What do those wires connect to?

The LR module is the one with both Orange and Yellow wires going into it.

I think (and you can check this online) that the part number for your LR-505 module is 4010648.

The Service Bulletin PWC-00-05 is not a fix for the LR module. It is a fix for a no-restart condition on a warm engine.

If the LR module is bad, then the only fix is replacement.

Thread Information