Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Snapped head off bolt - how to extract?

I have a bolt extrator set. However, with as tight as that must have been in there - will that do the trick (charging drill right now)?

Any other ideas?

Banned User
    add heat to defeat the loctite...

best way is to start with small drill bit them keep moving up in size. Tell most of it is gone them heat it up and try to remove it.

+1
    Yes, drill yourself a hole in the middle. Install an extractor then unscrew it out.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

+1
    I"d agree-- apply heat to attempt to loosen the loctite. Someone here once suggested using a large soldering iron as opposed to a flame device.

Then drill and use an extractor. Buy a good set. The lesser quality ones may tend to strip themselves instead of extracting.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Piney View Post
    I"d agree-- apply heat to attempt to loosen the loctite. Someone here once suggested using a large soldering iron as opposed to a flame device.

Then drill and use an extractor. Buy a good set. The lesser quality ones may tend to strip themselves instead of extracting.
    Sounds like a good plan. Only thing I would add is use a left hand drill bit. They are not that common but I have an index that I use for this purpose only and because of that, they are kept sharp. Start with a small bit after punching the very center of the broken fastener and go bigger as needed. Do this after heat and some times the left hand bit will simply "unscrew" the broken fastener. If it doesn't, just go with the extractor when the hole is drilled.

That's what I'd do.

+1
    Jim-C180, I was looking at your pics, as i am not that familar with the seadoo boats, but since you have the head off that bolt, and all the other ones out, why can you not just remove that bracket and then remove the rest of the bolt with vice grips?
    Correct me if I am wrong, ?

Quote Originally Posted by skoepp View Post
    Jim-C180, I was looking at your pics, as i am not that familar with the seadoo boats, but since you have the head off that bolt, and all the other ones out, why can you not just remove that bracket and then remove the rest of the bolt with vice grips?

Dude - I am gonna go check that right now - if you are right - I am gonna kiss you.

Quote Originally Posted by skoepp View Post

Took off the reverse bucket fitting in that bracket and tried pulling it off - but stuck. Are there any threads at all in that bracket - or all in the pump housing itself?

scratches head and prepares to go use a big hammer

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim-C180 View Post
    Took off the reverse bucket fitting in that bracket and tried pulling it off - but stuck. Are there any threads at all in that bracket - or all in the pump housing itself?

scratches head and prepares to go use a big hammer
    Man, you got me, if there threaded into that bracket then never mind, that want work. If those bolts were thread into the bracket what were they holding on there.
    I was thinking that was what was securing the bracket on.
    If so, how is that bracket mounted???
    Time for a manual.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information