Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 18
  1. #1

    Snapped head off bolt - how to extract?







    I have a bolt extrator set. However, with as tight as that must have been in there - will that do the trick (charging drill right now)?

    Any other ideas?


  2. #2
    Banned User
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    441
    add heat to defeat the loctite...

  3. #3

    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Maryland
    Posts
    15
    best way is to start with small drill bit them keep moving up in size. Tell most of it is gone them heat it up and try to remove it.

  4. #4
    Petron's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    923
    +1
    1
    Yes, drill yourself a hole in the middle. Install an extractor then unscrew it out.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

  5. #5

    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    SE Texas
    Posts
    396
    +1
    3
    I"d agree-- apply heat to attempt to loosen the loctite. Someone here once suggested using a large soldering iron as opposed to a flame device.

    Then drill and use an extractor. Buy a good set. The lesser quality ones may tend to strip themselves instead of extracting.

  6. #6
    Addicted Member 5001craig's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Northeast Indiana
    Posts
    2,924
    +1
    11
    Quote Originally Posted by Piney View Post
    I"d agree-- apply heat to attempt to loosen the loctite. Someone here once suggested using a large soldering iron as opposed to a flame device.

    Then drill and use an extractor. Buy a good set. The lesser quality ones may tend to strip themselves instead of extracting.
    Sounds like a good plan. Only thing I would add is use a left hand drill bit. They are not that common but I have an index that I use for this purpose only and because of that, they are kept sharp. Start with a small bit after punching the very center of the broken fastener and go bigger as needed. Do this after heat and some times the left hand bit will simply "unscrew" the broken fastener. If it doesn't, just go with the extractor when the hole is drilled.

    That's what I'd do.

  7. #7
    West Texas RXP skoepp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    west texas
    Posts
    12,019
    +1
    149
    Jim-C180, I was looking at your pics, as i am not that familar with the seadoo boats, but since you have the head off that bolt, and all the other ones out, why can you not just remove that bracket and then remove the rest of the bolt with vice grips?
    Correct me if I am wrong, ?

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by skoepp View Post
    Jim-C180, I was looking at your pics, as i am not that familar with the seadoo boats, but since you have the head off that bolt, and all the other ones out, why can you not just remove that bracket and then remove the rest of the bolt with vice grips?
    Correct me if I am wrong, ?

    Dude - I am gonna go check that right now - if you are right - I am gonna kiss you.

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by skoepp View Post
    Jim-C180, I was looking at your pics, as i am not that familar with the seadoo boats, but since you have the head off that bolt, and all the other ones out, why can you not just remove that bracket and then remove the rest of the bolt with vice grips?
    Correct me if I am wrong, ?

    Took off the reverse bucket fitting in that bracket and tried pulling it off - but stuck. Are there any threads at all in that bracket - or all in the pump housing itself?

    scratches head and prepares to go use a big hammer

  10. #10
    West Texas RXP skoepp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    west texas
    Posts
    12,019
    +1
    149
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim-C180 View Post
    Took off the reverse bucket fitting in that bracket and tried pulling it off - but stuck. Are there any threads at all in that bracket - or all in the pump housing itself?

    scratches head and prepares to go use a big hammer
    Man, you got me, if there threaded into that bracket then never mind, that want work. If those bolts were thread into the bracket what were they holding on there.
    I was thinking that was what was securing the bracket on.
    If so, how is that bracket mounted???
    Time for a manual.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Snapped Off Intake Grate Bolt.....How to Get it Out??
    By Ernest T in forum Yamaha PWC Performance (4-stroke)
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 02-22-2012, 04:29 AM
  2. How to take cylinder head off Ultra 150
    By Ultra151 in forum Kawasaki PWC Performance (2-stroke)
    Replies: 243
    Last Post: 06-24-2011, 07:54 PM
  3. Broken pump bolt--how to remove?
    By rpt50 in forum Polaris Open Discussion
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: 09-11-2010, 08:15 PM
  4. Snapped Exhaust manafold Bolts, how to remove?
    By 95xp-dooster in forum 2-Stroke Performance
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 08-11-2008, 02:15 PM
  5. Broke head off bolt
    By 12timeworldchamps in forum Sea Doo Open Discussion
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-30-2008, 08:33 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •