Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

3 PWCs on a 2PWC trialer?

I currently have a Karavan 2 PWC trailer with a 2006 Honda F12-x and a 2008 Yamaha VX Cruiser; and an older single trailer with a 2003 SeaDoo GTI.

I mounted a Lowes' toolbox with lifejackets and miscelaneous items, also a 2''x10'' board down the middle to aid in launching the watercrafts.

I have given some thought to mounting all three on the same trailer. It is rated for 2995lbs, however I am told it has a 3500lb axle, just rated at 2995 to avoid being required to have trailer brakes here in the lovely state of Connecticut.

Has anyone done this? Good idea? Bad idea? Would I mount the third ski faced forward or backward? Moving the tool box wouldn't be a big deal, neither would moving the other two skis back a little.

I have tried to attatch a few pictures.....may or may not have worked.

Thanks for any advise!
    -Ed
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN1049.JPG 
Views:	66 
Size:	2.09 MB 
ID:	185298   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN1051.JPG 
Views:	52 
Size:	2.06 MB 
ID:	185299   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN1052.JPG 
Views:	52 
Size:	2.01 MB 
ID:	185300  

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1

bad idea

there's a reason larger trailers are requried to have brakes. IF you had an event, your insurance company woul use overloaded trailer as a reason to deny your claim, even if it was a yahoo in a rental car that rear ended your trailer.

Quick math in my simple mind is about 800lbs per PWC, and a max of 450lbs of fuel. That would be approx 2850lbs. Do you think that would "overload" the trailer?

Thanks.

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1

that sorta depends

technically you're good.....but make sure the weight distribution allows for the proper tongue weight and you keep a close eye on tires/bearings. Speaking of tires, make sure they are well within that load rating

vendor ratings can be stretched at time. Personally I wouldn't be comfortable towing a rig like that long distances at high speeds. Hit a couple of rough spots and you could overstress the rig

When you factor in metal fatigue, you can run into a situation like mine where a lift davit rated for 800 pounds begins to fail when I lifted a 720 pound ski with it ( when the winch stopped, the ski bounced on the cable a little bit and that inertia overloaded the davit and cracked a weld, I had a bunch of gussets installed on it since then and it is holding up nicely. I'm a bit gentler on the winch control too...). Keep a careful eye on it and you should be ok for a while. I'd just trade up to a bigger trailer. You have fairly big cargo value there. What's it gonna cost to upgrade the trailer?

Have an experienced welder make the modifications, wouldn't hurt to beef it up a little bit with some extra gussets while the welder has his rig fired up.

+1
    i wouldnt go there.

just because the axle is rated at 3500 pounds doesn't mean the whole trailer is.
    you also have to look at load distribution on the trailer. you want to have 8-10 percent of the load on the tong. the springs and tires as well as the frame may not be able to hold the extra weight. one other thing you have to take in to consideration is that the frame and bunks and springs weigh something to and put stress on the axle as well.

you would also have to get the trailer fairly deep in the water to load and unload it if it came off sideways.
    Last edited by stingray152003; 05-21-2010 at 08:56 AM.

found these 2 trailers for transporting three skis. see if you can design off of one.
    http://shadowtrailers.com/watercraft_trailer.htm
    http://shadowtrailers.com/pwc_trailers_3.htm

from what I see you can try and remove the box and have a ski in front of the other 2 sideways.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by nmpeter View Post
    technically you're good.....but make sure the weight distribution allows for the proper tongue weight and you keep a close eye on tires/bearings. Speaking of tires, make sure they are well within that load rating

vendor ratings can be stretched at time. Personally I wouldn't be comfortable towing a rig like that long distances at high speeds. Hit a couple of rough spots and you could overstress the rig

When you factor in metal fatigue, you can run into a situation like mine where a lift davit rated for 800 pounds begins to fail when I lifted a 720 pound ski with it ( when the winch stopped, the ski bounced on the cable a little bit and that inertia overloaded the davit and cracked a weld, I had a bunch of gussets installed on it since then and it is holding up nicely. I'm a bit gentler on the winch control too...). Keep a careful eye on it and you should be ok for a while. I'd just trade up to a bigger trailer. You have fairly big cargo value there. What's it gonna cost to upgrade the trailer?

Have an experienced welder make the modifications, wouldn't hurt to beef it up a little bit with some extra gussets while the welder has his rig fired up.

+100000000000

You will wear this trailer out after 1-2 seasons. Bite the bullet and buy a "real" 3 place tailer then sell this one.
    If your state laws allow, rig your Karavan up to pull tandum so you can pull the 1 single behind your double.

+1
    If your state laws allow, rig your Karavan up to pull tandum so you can pull the 1 single behind your double.
    +1

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by meangene757 View Post
    found these 2 trailers for transporting three skis. see if you can design off of one.
    http://shadowtrailers.com/watercraft_trailer.htm
    http://shadowtrailers.com/pwc_trailers_3.htm
    I have this trailer (white)....except used with 2 skis, No third bunk. Its very nice, but will rust if used in salt water.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information