Buying 05 RXT with Blown Supercharger. Need Advice!

Ok guys heres the deal, I have a buddy who has a 2005 RXT. He bought it brand new, and it has been in the shop 3 times because of the super charger giving out. Each time was under warranty. Well now the warranty is out and once again the SC has took a sh!t. this happend in the middle of last summer. He said screw it and continued to ride it 4-5 times without it. He said it would only run about 50mph when doing so but ran perfectly fine except for the lack of power. It has sat out in the backyard since. Now the battery is dead, and I assume bad fuel etc. He is tired of dealing with it and wants to get rid of it. I am VERY handy with the 2 stroke skis, have had them all from Kawi to Seadoo's. Done rebuilds,etc no prob. I am going to look at it tommorow, check compression,etc. My questions is what are you opinions on buying one that has been ran a little bit with a bad SC? I DO NOT want to replace one of these 4 stroke engines due to the cost. If the Compression checks out ok, is this a safe buy for the right price. Right price being under 2k? My plan would be to pull the SC, Send it off to be completly rebuilt with the STEEL washers, and get the ski back up and running again. I hear I will possibly have to pull the engine to check for metal in the oil pump?? I need some opinions here before I buy it. How big of a PITA is this to do? Anything i should check for when visually inspecting this thing? Any help would be great!! Thanks in advance!!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	RXT.jpg 
Views:	188 
Size:	92.0 KB 
ID:	185390  

+1
    if the supercharger was rebuilt each time using the ceramic washer then i would say it is a mess inside that engine it would haft to come completely apart each part checked myself i would not give over a grand for it

+1
    My opinion stay away from it. You have no idea what kind of internal damage has been done. Or if the dealer flushed the engine out any of the times they work on it due to possible SC failure.

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1

I don't agree

KBB retail on that ski is in excess of $6500, trade is $4500 one of those cheapo rebuilt shortblock would run you $2300..certainly worth a shot, but only if he is willing to give it away..for a grand there would be lots of takers. Who would part that ski out so fast your head would spin ( me included)

See what he wants..at the minimum you'd be pulling the engine either for a cleanout of debris ( who know if the dealer cleaned out the oil pump after the first ceramic washer blowup)..or a replacement ( likely replacement if he kept on blowing up the sc either the ski has close to 500 hours on it, or he was jumping everything is sight..

I'd do compression check, dissect the oil filter, frown a lot and ask him what he wants..then hit him with the engine rebuild cost $2500 shipped...labor (heck I'd likely get a grand to swap a 4-tec for a rebuilt) and then toss the KBB value at him...( a dealer would pay $4500 tops for a running unit of that vintage.

Make a great deal for the mechanically inclined, but it could be as they say in star wars " a trap" a pretty hull does not a good buy make.

I'd be afraid of this one, unless the engine compression was great, the oil filter looked decent and he had service records that showed stel washer put in after the first blowup. Even then I could go bargain hunting someplace else....

Yeah I plan on inspecting this thing in and out before buying it. The first thing I will be doing is a compression check. The first time he had the SC go out he took it to a dealer who just put new ceramic washers in it and gave it back to him. That lasted a whole afternoon out on the water. The next time he took it to a different dealer who pulled the pump covers off and showed him all the pieces in the screens. That time it was done correctly. But this was about 3 years ago so I believe they still put the old ceramic washers in there. Im not sure about the hours on the machine but I will check that out tomorrow. Can the oil pump covers not be removed with the engine in the ski?

+1
    If you can get it cheap enough to part it out and make good money, then maybe ... with the history of blown ceramic washers in that ski, PLAN on a blown motor. Almost every motor that has eaten washers and NOT been pulled, taken apart and thoroughly cleaned has later snapped a timing chain or thrown a rod thru the block. Some run good for 5 hours, some for 20 hours ... then they blow up. Only buy it if you get it cheap enough to put in a new motor and still be good on it ... Since this ski has been run a few times after eating washers, no way would I ever trust that motor. Time bomb ...

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Vern View Post
    If you can get it cheap enough to part it out and make good money, then maybe ... with the history of blown ceramic washers in that ski, PLAN on a blown motor. Almost every motor that has eaten washers and NOT been pulled, taken apart and thoroughly cleaned has later snapped a timing chain or thrown a rod thru the block. Some run good for 5 hours, some for 20 hours ... then they blow up. Only buy it if you get it cheap enough to put in a new motor and still be good on it ... Since this ski has been run a few times after eating washers, no way would I ever trust that motor. Time bomb ...
    +1

Thread Information