Question Correct Carb Spring SBN44

Quick question. I'm sitting here at the kitchen table and the assembly is going well, however I have a question about how to ID the correct spring. The Mikuni kit came with two springs- 1 short goldish and 1 longer (by two coils) shiney silver. My carb springs are more the color of the shorter goldish spring but are one coil taller more like the the length of the shiney silver. Do you think the fuel has turned the OE shiney silver more of a gold color and having been installed under pressure has shrunk it by one coil? I'm not sure which one to use, and i don't have a pop off tool. No mods other than just removing the choke plates, so OE set up is all I'm looking for. Your quick reply would be great.

On another topic, FYI. Regarding the SBN44 valve body having and improved version. The answer is yes there is one. It is part number 6M6-24413-02 The the check valve ports have more webbing like one of the the bodies in the link below.

http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/show...00+check+valve

The cool part is when you order this part number from Yamaha, the bodies come complete with the check valves installed! Saved me from worrying if I had the valve the correct way, and tearing the grommet. Hope this helps someone.

Ok... well can anyone offer a reason I shouldn't use the original springs? Ski has about 175hrs., and this is the first carb rebuild. I figure even if they are a little weaker, it might be better that changing to the intirely wrong spring?

+1
    There were 3 springs 1 gold 2 silver 1 dull 1 shiny.Now they call one platinum.Download or buy the mikuni 44 sbn carb manual it will tell you which spring and n/s combo gives what pop off etc.
    If I was you I would try 100 pilots 135 mains gold springs and 1.5 N.S.

+1
    I thought there were 4 springs. The gold is now platinum. so it goes Platinum, Dull Silver, Black, Shiny Silver
    Name:  Spring chart.jpg
Views: 270
Size:  13.3 KB

I am not sure what the correct one is. I couldnt tell the difference from the two that were included in the mikuni kit. so i matched colors, used that spring and got the pop off I wanted (or very close to it)

Thanks for the replies guys. Not to argue, but the OE Mikuni kits only came with 2 springs. While there may be others produced, the kit only came with 2 a shiney silver, and a shorter more gold color. The springs that came out of the carbs are exactly in between the 2 in size, and appear to be a dull color... I'm assuming from being in the fuel??

At this point I have sealed them up with the original springs, and was going that route unless it's dangerous to do so??? All needles and seats have been replaced with new 1.2's.

+1
    JM, I was only meaning there are 4 total springs available. You are right about the two in the kits. When I got my kits a month or so ago, both springs were silverish, I couldnt tell if one was platinum or one was silver. I actually ended up buying new 115 gram springs (platinum) when I ordered my new N&S. The springs came in platinum. You may have received NOS kits with the gold spring. I dunno. My stock springs were shorter as well.

What pop-off pressure did you get with the stock springs and 1.2?

I have not taken a pop-off as i don't have a tester. Guess I was just hoping to stay stock and not have to worry about that. Probably foolish huh?

Thread Information