Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    home of the dislexic fingers breon's Avatar

block guards yes or no

just wondering ..who likes them ..and who doesnt and why...

when you instasll them are they supposed to flush with the top or pushed down in a bit for more even flow

and if so how much ..

just ported my head and installing a rotax 4224 cam...

anyone want to guess at how much more power it is going to give me??

they say the porting is good for 15 hp in a stage 3 boat ..i am well past that..

then you have the cam

+1
    Waterfire (austin) i think did a write up on do's & donts of block guards... id PM him about it.

Are people running into issues with cracking sleeves? From what I remember from my Honda B-Series days they were popular at first but not sure if they did anything. Eventually everyone went into getting stronger sleeves put in. How much power do you plan on making that you think you need one of these?

+1
    from what ive read not all blocks are the same so the block gaurd need to be sanded down so its a perfect fit or it can warp the cylinders or something to that affect.

Quote Originally Posted by Dockside View Post
    from what ive read not all blocks are the same so the block gaurd need to be sanded down so its a perfect fit or it can warp the cylinders or something to that affect.

ya i needed to sand just a little off the flat sides to get it in without forcing it..just a touch on the belt sander and it went in with just gentle taps..

did a search seems as i thought ..mixed reviews..didnt find anything negative..just seems no one is positive it really helps..but it seem the consensus is it wont hurt

just still don't know if it is supposed to be just flush with the top or is it ok or better if it is say 1/4 inch below the top..

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by breon View Post
    ya i needed to sand just a little off the flat sides to get it in without forcing it..just a touch on the belt sander and it went in with just gentle taps..

did a search seems as i thought ..mixed reviews..didnt find anything negative..just seems no one is positive it really helps..but it seem the consensus is it wont hurt

just still don't know if it is supposed to be just flush with the top or is it ok or better if it is say 1/4 inch below the top..
    I ran and will run mine semi flush as I dont want alot of space between block gaurd and the gasket but thats just me.

+1
    Yes, I will start off with this. It is a good thought and works. BUT.
    They just do not fit worth a crap. I had taken my block to my machine shop and because I was going to do machine work I had them check specs with and without BG installed and they were not at all happy with the results. Short story. It oblongs or eggshapes your cylinders. They machined the BG for better fitment and then installed it and then did the work on my block with it installed to make everything perfect. So IMO I would not force it with a hammer and if you need to do so. WELL then maybe you should know that just maybe it doesn't fit correctly.
    Oh and I tap mine just bellow the surfasce, so you don't encounter any head gasket issue's!
    hope this helps.

RXP 260 X Short Course Veteran RXP244's Avatar
    +1

Block Guard

I put one in the first time I ever had the head off. Would def do it again with any mods. I run mine about 1-1.5mm down from the deck. Took some good "taps" with a rubber mallet to get in, but I didn't have to take anything off it.

I like it.

just below the surface was my thought as well

and if the block guard flexes the cylinders without really forcing it it seems to me proof of how much they flex ..a light tap with a hammer is noting compared to the forcse of the combustion

I will always run one. I installed mine just below the deck and tapped it in with a rubber mallet.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information