Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Question 2003 Virage Txi DI low hour motor blow

Hi guys, I've got a 2003 virage txi and the number one cylinder is down on compression. My mother took it out about 2 years ago and let someone ride it, needless to say, when they brought it back it wasnt running. Not being able to know what happened when it stopped running I wanted to check if there was anything common that goes out, oil pump/injector etc. The bike has less than fifty hours and i thought it too soon to just be wear and tear. The back two cylinders still have good compression. The bike barely turns over and only with a good jump, without all i get is solenoid click. Is there some things I should check so I don't rebuild the motor just to have the same thing happen again? Or does it sound like the rider dumped it and rolled it back with some water right into the intake?

Bare with me as I am fairly new to wrenching on wave runners, usually do my work on things with wheels.

Thanks in advance for the help and sorry if this is a repost, but I could not seem to find anything in the search.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Welcome to the Hulk

Before you tear the engine down, check the fuel pump pressure. Hook a pressure gauge to the schrader valve tee. and bump the starter over. The fuel pump should start, and the pressure should jump up to over 20 PSI (electric fuel pump).

It looks like you need to remove that MAG cylinder head, and have a look-see.

Unplug the fuel tank connector (so the fuel pump won't run while the injectors are off the engine). There is a locking slide tab - unlock the tab, then pull the fuel tank electrical connector out.

Unbolt all the injectors, and lift the bracket+injectors off the engine as a set. Don't loose the fat O-ring that sits on top of each injector (under the bracket).

Remove the water manifold bar, and set aside. Now you can remove the front cylinder head.

To move the piston up and down, you can bump the starter. Alternate is to grip the PTO drive shaft coupler and hand turn the engine.

BTW, if the start solenoid body color is Black plastic, plan to replace with the newer brown body version. More reliable solenoid

Be careful jumping the battery. These Polaris don't like voltage spikes.

+1
    welcome to the hulk!

where are you located?

Thanks for the help and welcoming guys. I will hopefully have a chance to start working on it tomorrow so will let you know how it goes. Location is Dayton, Ohio.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by ras928 View Post
    ... Location is Dayton, Ohio.
    Put that into your Profile

Any recomendations on where to purchase the brown solenoid? This black ones has made be mad well before the motor went down haha. And for the topend kit, SBT seems to be the place to go, correct?

Also just checked fuel pressure.... not good (as in 0). Am i looking at a fuel pump replacement or is something that can get clogged or block it or electrical issue? Checked compression again for the hell of it, 30psi, 110psi, 90psi... im guessing it should be much higher than all of those?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by ras928 View Post
    Also just checked fuel pressure.... not good (as in 0).
    Am i looking at a fuel pump replacement or is something that can get clogged or block it or electrical issue?

Checked compression again for the hell of it, 30psi, 110psi, 90psi...
    I'm guessing it should be much higher than all of those?
    You have problems...

Fuel pressure is easily fixed;

Polaris Ficht Fuel Injected Engines

How to repair a Ficht fuel pump - pressure regulator has fallen inside

Compression is low, and should be within 5% variance between cylinders.

You are looking at least at a top end rebuild - probably three sets of pistons, rings, and cylinder re-bore.
    If metal shards have damaged the crank shaft bearings, then the crank will need rebuilding.

Alternative is to purchase and install a a rebuilt engine.
    Last edited by K447; 05-03-2010 at 09:05 PM.

Ok guys, got the motor tore down and just ordered a top end kit from SBT. I am assuming the fuel pump going south made it run lean and led to this, correct? I am hoping that the regulator is the issue but have not got around to pulling the tank yet, probably tomorrow... maybe tonight.

Another thing, i mistakenly thought it only had <50 hours on it, but its actually at 78.4... I was way off. How often have you guys been rebuilding these 1200s? I know my seadoo gtx is pushing 150 hours on the stock top end which has impressed me.

+1
    Did you check the cylinders for damage and wear before ordering the piston kits?
    Do they need honing or re-boring?

These engines can run for a long time, depending on proper care, good quality oil and fuel, and good maintenance.

Hundreds of hours are possible.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information