Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    +1

Bunch-O-Changes And She Started Right Up. Thanks GH!

First of all, I am fairly mechanical but I am not a mechanic. Everytime I work on my ski, I appreciate more and more what guys like Dan, Duke, WFO, etc... do for a living. And I only know a fraction (overstatement) of what these Wise Ones know. I have a fear of electrical work (relays and the sort) and with the help of a bunch of guys I tackled this stuff and it all worked. Thanks guys--you all know who I'm talking about.

I've been working on my FZS for some time now--I'm slow. This spring I've installed an R2 reflash, LC-1 (relay and all ), Innovative Boost and Temp gauges, Riva FPR and a Pet tach. I installed the battery tonight and after double and triple checking everything, I hit the starter with my other hand on the throttle. I checked all the new gauges and everything was on. I checked where I spliced into the wiring harness for a switched 12 volt supply and nothing was smoking. AFR gauge said 20 and I thought that was OK. I hit the starter and after she turned-over a couple times, she barked to life (small delay as I fogged her pretty good last fall).

AFR was 12.6/12.7 and I never gave it any gas. Boost looked like 1 PSI. Temp gauge was a bit erratic and I chalked that up to the fact that I started it without being on the hose (only ran it for about 10 seconds max each time).

Now, I just have to install the shaft and bearings into the stator and then the seals (thanks again Duke for your Sticky on this! ). Also, the tach isn't accurate. Not really happy with how I have to attach the lead for the signal.

I took pics and will post soon.

Won't be long now... Thanks to everyone here as I have learned a bunch and really am only just beginning (isn't there a song like that? ).

+1
    Nice work Craig! Where did you put the sending unit for the temp gauge? Also, you still on stock boost?

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by hitman View Post
    Nice work Craig! Where did you put the sending unit for the temp gauge? Also, you still on stock boost?
    I purchased the 22mm size of this adapter from DynoTune

and installed it in the water hose on the back side of the engine after the thermostat. The thermocouple that came with the Temp gauge from DynoTune simply screwed into the above adapter. All the pics I took and I didn't take one of this--I'll post one soon.

I'm running a C3-11 and had that on last summer.

My Pet tach was showing very low readings at idle. I used a longer (and larger) piece of wire and wrapped the spark plug boot directly below the coil but outside the valve cover. Also, due to how I want to mount the gauge, I'm going down and up through the sensor with the antennae and maybe I'm supposed to go up and then down??? Will look at these things tonight but if anyone has any guidance, feel free to pass it along to me.

+1
    Nice job, you sound like your really happy and have not even put it in the water yet.
    Hope you get some nice weather and get a good ride in, keep us updated on the results.

Banned User
    +1

pics

post some pics

Good Work Craig!

The question in your last post I think was how you attach the wire to your PET tach. I go up and then down so the wire will be out of the way but I wouldn't think it would matter. Make sure you are in program 41 then check your connection at the coil. All the problems I've had were at the coil so far.

+1
    I had some trouble knowing where to get a 12 volt switched source for wiring the LC-1 so SHOBiz cleared me up. There is a picture in Jerry's FZR thread but I couldn't be exactly sure from it. Here is the wire I used right beside the ECU:

I ran that wire back to the relay. Then I made a harness for back at the relay (I mounted that on the aft side of the white midwall) from the battery to the relay:

Then I ran the wires from the relay up to the dash:

And I mounted the switch and indicator here:

The gauge is mounted on the speedo and it's gay but I may re-wire it a bit. I really like the fact that I can see my AFR's easily without much movement.

Speedo is junk from the factory so I played around with the plate in the pickup area (it's sanded smooth now):

I know I've said this but I would have never attempted these installations prior to getting on the Hulk and with the help I've gotten here. I just took my time and if I wasn't really sure about something, I shot a PM to someone on a different level than I am. Just about everything I did has already been documented here on the hulk. It's just different angles from my camera.

Note that even though I took my time, when I double checked the wiring for the LC-1 I found a connection that was not right and had to redo it.

I'll post more later.

+1
    Everything looks really good Craig

+1
    Craig,
    You're much braver than me....
    Nice work. Can't wait till you try it.

Gary

+1
    I like how you filled the plate where the speedo wheel is.
    Every little bit count!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information