Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

1998 GP1200 statrter not engaging

hi all took the gp1200 out last week ran perfect.when my daughter tried to start it yesterday i could hear the starter spin but not engaging last summer it swamped. so im guessing the bendix drive is shot. what i need to know is how do i get to the starter? is ti on the carb side on the exhaust manifold side. how hard is it gonna be to get to it? what gaskets will i need to replace along the way.any hints would be very much appreciated. thanks

Sounds like a bendix issue as you stated. The bendix is right behind the flywheel. Its not hard to change out. Just take the flywheel cover off and the flywheel out and the bendix just sits right there and will come right out. Replace it and put the flywheel back on and the cover and your good to go.

+1
    Before you pull the flywheel try some greese in the bendix.

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1

couple of taps with a long chunk of wood

just might do the trick..the bendix likely has some crud in there..cycle it a few dozen times and it might be more cooperative. Rapping on the starter housing while you try to engage the starter is an old trick I've used when skis come out of storgae and are a bit sticky. a 3/8 ratchet works..but don't get crazy.

Quote Originally Posted by bigeasy View Post
    hi all took the gp1200 out last week ran perfect.when my daughter tried to start it yesterday i could hear the starter spin but not engaging last summer it swamped. so im guessing the bendix drive is shot. what i need to know is how do i get to the starter? is ti on the carb side on the exhaust manifold side. how hard is it gonna be to get to it? what gaskets will i need to replace along the way.any hints would be very much appreciated. thanks
    Most starter have new o-ring/ gasket when you buy it. Just coat the new starter o-ring with some grease and you'll be fine. The site below show you how to remove the engine but use it for reference to remove the starter or bendix.

http://www.shopsbt.com/pdfs/y11001200npv.pdf

Do a search on removing the flywheel if you have to replace the bendix. I had to remove my fuel tank from my 1100 raider for extra room to remove the flywheel. It take lots of time, penetrant oil, good puller, hammer, and some heat to get it out. Consider putting in an advance key if you do. Only bad side to the advance key is you have to use prenium fuel.

thanks guys i like the suggestions that i may not have to remove the fly wheel. i will spray it down thoroughly with wd40 and lps3 what part of it do i need to free how does it work ? thanks for all the help you guys are the best. with all this oil in my water i should never have to lubricate again. i can smell it in the air its about 10-20 miles from me and comming in fast on a north wind should be on my doorstep by tommorrow.

+1
    I answered your pm.

to all who responded i thank you for your help. i ordered a puller from harbour freight.while waiting for it i took someones suggestion to try to work the bendix before pulling the flywheel. first i sprayed it heavily with wd40 then twisted and pulled and turned it as much as the close quarters allowed,i then sprayed it thoroughly with lps3 ended with some marine grease.i replaced the cover sans gasket and hit it.it engaged perfectly 50 times. horray for me. one thing to remember dont let it start that b#@&%* is [email protected]#%^&g loud. all i need now is for my gaskets to come in and im back in the water if the oil spill dont get here 1st. once again my biggest thanks to the guys of GH you guys know some sh#t.

+1

+1
    I have a 1200 xlt and I am putting the flywheel back on, but I am not quite sure how deeply it should be seated. When the bendix is fully extended should the teeth on the flywheel be flush/even with the teeth on the bendix or is there some offset? I guess I am trying to avoid overtightening and jamming the flyweel up against the crankcase. thanks for any input. Michael

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information