Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

sleeved jug help

ok so im almost done with my build, all ive been waiting on is my friend to pull his blow engine so i can get a jug or two from it..it thew a rod on the #cylinder, but the other 2 jugs appered fine with no scratches..after getting them home and starting to clean them up i notice theve been sleeved..can this be good or is it all bad..what do i look for to tell if its been done correctly, and if theve been nickisil coted or if there steel sleeves.. i can get pics of wherever i need to if needed.thanks

+1
    HI jplowman2005
    I can try to answer your question but I need some more info. What year, make and model is the ski what engine is in it? there are only a few Yamaha's that where not sleeved like the newer Yamaha 800 and 1200 Powervalve, 1300 engines.
    All the older yamaha's with a 500, 650, 701, 760, 1100, 1200 non pv engines where sleeved and can be bored.

I hope this helps if you like and have more questions PM me and I will do my best to help.
    Sorry I dont always look at the Yamaha section I was looking for a part and saw your post.
    Thanks Doug

sry its for a 01 gp1200r.. the only reason i noticed it was when i had it sitting next to the good one i have from my ski is its pretty obvious when there side by side.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by jplowman2005 View Post
    sry its for a 01 gp1200r..

...the only reason i noticed it was when i had it sitting next to the good one i have from my ski is its pretty obvious when there side by side.
    And what year/model are the used cylinders from?

Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    And what year/model are the used cylinders from?
    00 gp1200r

You can see the lip on bottom most of the time were the sleeve isnt perfect to the casting. The head area where the sleeve sits, the ring will also be a bronze or rust color most of the time. The nikasil looks to be a different color shade of aluminum. Put up a pic and I can tell. Sleeves arent as good as the nikasil but they should work ok for you if they were done properly. Thats my opinion though, water doesn't rust nikasil and they seem to have more longevity not only in boats but cars also just cost a whole lot more to repair

pics up
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN0607.JPG 
Views:	38 
Size:	898.7 KB 
ID:	185745   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN0608.JPG 
Views:	51 
Size:	877.7 KB 
ID:	185746   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN0611.JPG 
Views:	39 
Size:	867.4 KB 
ID:	185747  

+1
    Yeap your cylinder is Sleeved someone did that and there is nothing wronge with sleeving I do tons of sleeving 30-40 cylinders a month.

One big advantage is that you can go back and do a over bore when you have a problem there are many different size pistons that are offered Std, .25, .50, .75, 1.00mm over bores I have even done Big Bore kits and used 1300r pistons and re-cut the head for the larger bore size.

Tell your buddy he needs to learn to "fog" the motor during storage...it'll prevent that rust on the iron bores...and the crank bearings...which may be the cause of the blown rod.

Also, I'd prefer not to mix iron lined and nikasil lined bores in the same motor...

Quote Originally Posted by PolarisNut View Post
    Tell your buddy he needs to learn to "fog" the motor during storage...it'll prevent that rust on the iron bores...and the crank bearings...which may be the cause of the blown rod.

Also, I'd prefer not to mix iron lined and nikasil lined bores in the same motor...

he bought it with the blown rod, and its been sitting for 6-8 months now..how bad can a nickelseal jug be before you can use it..i know one of mine is bad, and the other has a very small but i can fill it grove

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information