+1

New 09 FX SHO Cruiser

So I've spent several hours reading back through threads on the SHO's. Now I want to ask outright. I'm in the last stages of buying a SHO this weekend and just trying to get all the info I can. I've always had two strokes and just sold my 07 GPR so I could upgrade to a three seater. I've read about how great they are and I've read about major failures at 12 hours. I am planning on running it 100% stock, not even an impeller. I'm a techie guy so I'm always asking the questions the dealer can't answer. I was looking for some up to date opinions on this engine setup so I can make the right choice. Thanks in advance.

+1

Question (tap tap tap, is this thing on?

Dang, 40 views and no owners or anyone with thoughts?

Get the ski you will love the power and performance and the motor is solid good choice.

+1
    It really is a solid ski...ultra comfortable, fast enough to be fun with great reliability. I've got 170 hrs on my '08 without a single issue.

The only things you might consider are reinforcing the tunnel & getting an aftermarket grate & seal kit. The reinforcement is just a precaution. We've seen several forum members have SHO's crack tunnels, even on stock skis that weren't used in heavy chop. It's available from the online store. The SHO's won't overstuff with the stock grate, so it's not a must-do, but the handling is sooooo much better with a scoop grate.

One thing to consider is fuel efficiency (if it is a concern to you). I have an 09 fxho. The acceleration on the SHO is better (slightly) and the top end speed is maybe 5 mph more. My buddy and I rode the same distance. He went through 3/4 of a tank, I used a 1/4. Very important if you are going to stay stock (if not, go SHO). Just some food for thought.

09 FX Cruiser SHO

I just bought a leftover 09 2 weeks ago. I have 2 07 VX Cruisers with about 110 hours and they have never given me any problems. Rock solid. My brother has an 08 FX SHO and an 09 FXHO, both used often and never a single problem. The fuel comparison is very valid. If you run WOT on a SHO be prepared to burn through a tank. Keep it between 40 - 50 and you get great milage. I have ridden both FXHO and FX SHO and the SHO is muuuch faster in acceleration (I have only ridden stock setups, and only on lakes). The SHO is a very excilerating ride. You will love it. Yamaha PWC are pretty rock solid and with 4 stroke normal maintenance is a breeze.

I have to agree, the SHO is the way to go. I spent last weekend breaking (by the book) mine in and I have to tell you out of the hole means out of the hole. I figured that I wouldn't have the stones to go WOT but, it handles so well and the ride is smooth it's too easy to open it up.

I look at it this way about the 12 hour failure. There is something wrong with a component/quality of build of the engine which causes catastrophic failure. I will find a way to make mine fail if it has a bad component/quaility under warrenty for sure and get it replaced.

I have a stock 09 SHO and plan on keeping it that way.

No problems, no complaints, and no regrets.

I ride on smooth lake water and rough river water.

paint fade?

I have an 09 sho cruiser love it what little ive ridden it.I was wonderin has anyone experienced paint fading in the footwells,mine is the crimson color?

+1
    Well, I got the SHO and after opening it up after break in I'm glad I didn't get the HO. I didn't ride the HO but after trading in an 07 GPR for this FX I wouldn't want any less performance. One thing I didn't like was the SC gear noise. Sounded like it was on a worn out bushing and/or the vanes were rubbing the housing but the salesman assured me it was normal and after more searches found a thread on it. I was surprised I didn't come across those threads during my first searches. I work for a vehical manf. so I know about 'undesirable characteristics' in a design. I have to explain that to my customers. I'm love'n the reverse though. First ski I have own with reverse. It's taken a little getting used to because I believe it is opposite from the older skis but very effective, turns on a dime in reverse.

Thread Information