Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: RXP Rideplate ?

RXP Rideplate ?

Ok, take a look at this picture (click the link below). GPR guys are doing this with their rideplates, and I want to do it with mine. But somewhere I read that it couldn't be done to a RXP because it acts as a heat exchanger, and is too thin.

Can this be done to an RXP rideplate?

http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/atta...1&d=1158590814
    Last edited by RXP-REX; 09-18-2006 at 02:18 PM.

+1
    Looks like they turned their ride plate and other parts into paper weights. You can do that with yours .

But really, yes it's a heat exchanger and it's pretty damn thin, you wouldn't want to make any modifications other than maybe jerry's skegs and/or filling the rideplate holes.

EZ Dock of Long Island Shibby1485's Avatar
    +1
    exactly what do u wanna do? just make it polished and shiny??

i trued and sanded the hell out of mine (yes it gets VERY thin)... didn't make it nearly as polished as the GPR guys tho
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	upload1 252.jpg 
Views:	80 
Size:	519.0 KB 
ID:	8333   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	upload1 312.jpg 
Views:	95 
Size:	521.6 KB 
ID:	8334  
    Last edited by MikeTrin; 09-18-2006 at 02:26 PM. Reason: typo

Quote Originally Posted by Shibby1485
    exactly what do u wanna do? just make it polished and shiny??

i trued and sanded the hell out of mine (yes it gets VERY thing)... didn't make it nearly as polished as the GPR guys tho
    Ah yes, Steve, just the guy I needed to talk to.

How much is involved and what is involved in taking the rideplate off to do this?

Did you notice any gains, or did you not try it without the skegs? Is it worth it?

yes, I want to true it and such. Just like Speedjunky did with his GPR rideplate in the picture.

+1
    truthfully... if i did it all over again, i would not have wasted my time and energy... but that's just one person's findings.

rideplate comes off easy... remove intake grate, remove the 6 bolts from bottom of the rideplate, get the pump jack out of ur car and put it where the pump is and just crank it and the rideplate will pry right off.

i've tried it with skegs, without skegs.... but i did a bit more than just true, sand, and shine it up... i modded the other side as well that bolts up against the hull...

i still like having skegs, but pertaining to just the rideplate it needs a whole new mold and design... some sanding and polishing isn't gonna do jack in my opinion

Quote Originally Posted by Shibby1485
    i modded the other side as well that bolts up against the hull...
    Why did you do this? Were you trying to make it more flush with the hull or recessed (spelling?) into the hull more?

Also, you said you had to pry it off...Did you have to do anything special to put it back on, like silicone it or something? I know there's silicone where it meets the hull around the intake grate area.

I think Im going to do this even if it doesn't do much. Im done with classes the first week of May, and that month isn't the greatest for riding conditions where Im at. So I'll have a lot of free time on my hands to mess with stuff.

Basically I want to push my current setup to the max. If I can do a bunch of cheap things here and there that gain me speed I'll be happy. I'd like to be close to 73mph or better next year if possible without any work to the SC or IC. Probably a stretch, but oh well.

+1
    i modded the under side to play with the rideplate angle... grind down the back mounting tabs and the rideplate angles upwards more thus causing the ski to ride higher out of the water and reduce wet surface area... however doing such a thing can promote porpoising sometimes.

the rideplate has silicone EVERYWHERE, u'll see how much is there when u pry it off... it's EVERYWHERE.. you need to pry and cut and pry and cut. then u gotta remove the silicone adhesive before you re-install...

here's more pics

see the round circles and it's ribbed? those are molded in shims... i grinded them down, which sucks the rideplate higher into the hull... almost like a stepped hull design

just remember... there's no going back to stock without buying a new rideplate
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	upload1 231.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	428.3 KB 
ID:	8339   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	upload1 236.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	539.8 KB 
ID:	8340   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	upload1 221.jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	523.6 KB 
ID:	8341   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	upload1 313.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	424.8 KB 
ID:	8342  

+1
    you know what RXpkid... there HAS to be something to be gained in this area... i guessed, i did it once, and called it quits bc i lost interest in the RXT

i'd be lying if i said i'm not gonna try some more rideplate work on my RXP when i get that thing going... except i want to try a few different things and more back to back testing.

TESTING is the important part here... it's hard to test it, then work on it for a week in the garage and test it again and get accurate results for comparison.. too many variables

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information