oil filter lid problem 08 rxtx

does anyone know how to take off the lid for the oil filter off a 2008 rxtx, I removed the bolt that I thought was holding the lid on, however after removal it is still on very tight. Any help would be appreciated thanks

Ft. Laud
    You must very gently pry up the cap.... Use a screw driver and work your way around the cap, never twice in the same spot.. Good luck..

Chillicothe, OH
    I large pair of channel locks (plyers) works well, gently wiggle it back and forth working it up and loose.

Banned User
    I have heard people say loosen off the bolt that hold the lid on about a qurter inch, put a rag over top and hit the start button, the pressure should pop it up but not off due to the screw not being taken out..then it should come out easier

after you get it off, buy the newer lid it comes off when you take the bolt out as one assembly.

west texas
    Use a round punch that will fit in cap. Put it in the hole then crank it from side to side and it will come off.
    IF you use a screw driver to pry under neath cap then be sure to check if you damage the o ring. If you do, replace it.

I had a hell of a time with mine, but eventually it came off from prying it with a screwdriver. I had an extra o-ring (and will always from now on when doing an oil change) so it didn't matter much if I damaged it. I think I'm going to find one of those strap-type oil filter removers and try that next time.

DONT mess up the O ring unless you have an extra then you can go to town with a screw driver

HOW IMPORTANT IS THE TOP ORING, IT SEAMS SO THIN like it a nusance leak stopper. the first thick one seams like it does all the sealing?

Grand Haven, MI
    Quote Originally Posted by m1dtom View Post
    HOW IMPORTANT IS THE TOP ORING, IT SEAMS SO THIN like it a nusance leak stopper. the first thick one seams like it does all the sealing?
    Exactly ... I have not used a top ring for years, no worries on removing that one.

Thread Information