Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

gp1200 problems!

what are the common problems with these I am interested in getting one... but I want to make sure I know what to look for so as not to get a lemon... also are these fairly reliable... It would be replacing my o4 800r with pv failure...

+1
    Well, there are no powervalves to worry about. The early, early 97s had hull cracking issues but was resolved with a internal braces (not sure what the fix looks like). the later 97-99 did not have this problem. Supposedly, it was a really low production # for the bad hulls.

The 97- early 98 hulls have a different rear section than the later 98 -99 hulls. The 97-early 98 hulls had crappy plastic trim tabs on the rear section of the hull. Those trim tabs usually get water under them when the sealant comes apart or the tabs completely fly off. The later 98 through 99 hull extend the hull over the are where the trim tabs.

You can get aftermarket trim tabs for both styles of hull. The 97-98 aftermarket tabs are a replacement and you you either have to find someone still holding onto a set or get some fabbed from a machine shop (there are CAD drawings floating around the forum as well as a contact to a machine shop who can make them or has some old stock laying around.)
    The 98-99 tabs are an add-on tab to increase hull stability.

Normal carb maintenance is required. Other than I dont know what is "prone" to be an issue.

@ akjose

Any idea where I can find the CAD drawings for these trim tabs ?? I have searched the forums here and didn't have any luck. I can machine my own tabs, if I get the drawings.

+1

Lightbulb ?

Quote Originally Posted by St4ngster View Post
    @ akjose

Any idea where I can find the CAD drawings for these trim tabs ?? I have searched the forums here and didn't have any luck. I can machine my own tabs, if I get the drawings.
    Hey there St4ngster..

Welcome to the forum...

I have what you're looking for on my other computer..
    Will try to post it up tomorrow for you..?

Tell us what model ski you have, plus any mods You may have done to it..

Its always good to get some new members aboard the old school section..

Gerry

+1
    Attached are the 97 through early 98 trim tabs.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Thanks for the warm welcome Quadzilla !! My Ski is a 98GP1200. It has quite a few mods done to it. Can't recall all of them now, and I have yet to get it out of stoarge, so I'll have to get back with a complete rundown on all of em. The hull is in kinda rough shape, so I would like to re-do it, and paint it the same Yamaha blue as my R6. I will be posting for help in this area, so expect to be hearing a lot from me in the future .

This is the first ski I have owned, but I have a lot of experience riding. A good friend of mine owned a Yamaha dealership back in the late 80's/90's so we always had lots of toys to play with. We had a couple WetBikes for a summer......They are a BLAST !! I have a Cutter Craze with a 175 Merc Sport Jet. All my friends have watercraft, and we all go out and hit the rapids on the Ottawa river. I take some of the kids, the lunches, drinks, and spare fuel. We always have a great day playing in the white water. The rafters are coming down, and we wave at em on the way up

Akjose..........Thanks for the file. My hull doesn't have any tabs on it, and no signs of ever having any. So, is it safe to assume it's a late model 98 hull ?? Will the drawing for the tabs you gave me gonna work ?

Sorry for the Hijack.......Guess I shoulda started my own thread eh ?

+1

Cool

Hey St4ngster..

You're very welcome..

As i said the more old schoolers the better..

Here's the drawing's you are after..

For the early and later hulls..

When you get it out of storage.. shoot some pictures.. (we like pictures here)

Also as you rightly guessed if there was no sign of tabs ever been fitted..
    Then it'll almost certainly be the later 98 type hull you have..

I would love to see the rafters faces as you went past..

Gerry
    Attached Files Attached Files

+1
    Still new myself, what exactly to the tabs do ?
    the 98 I just picked up doesn't have any either.
    What are their purpose exactly ( and for that matter, where are they / would be ? )

Quote Originally Posted by aabryan View Post
    what are the common problems with these I am interested in getting one... but I want to make sure I know what to look for so as not to get a lemon... also are these fairly reliable... It would be replacing my o4 800r with pv failure...
    Here are some of the common problems that I know of.
    1. Porpoising. The 97-99 gp's have a porpoising problem. I bought mine without knowing anything about waverunners. It porpoised out of controll. I thought I had wasted my money on a piece of crap. After reading on hear I found out it can be cured. By lowering the sponsons and tuning the ride plate the porpoising is gone and it is fun to ride. The previous owner was pissed because he sold it because of the way it rode. Now he wants it back.
    2. Oil lines. I have read on here many times that the oil lines can split or come off ruining the engine. I took a quick look at mine and they seemed ok. One day after riding I pulled the seat off and there was oil everywhere. The oil line had split like they had said on here. Luckily it hadn't come completely off so it didn't ruin the engine. So check the oil lines. If you buy it replace the lines and use good hose clamps. Or do like I did and pull the oil injection and premix the fuel. Definitely do a compression check before you buy.
    Other than that they are great.

Quote Originally Posted by CDW78 View Post
    Still new myself, what exactly to the tabs do ?
    the 98 I just picked up doesn't have any either.
    What are their purpose exactly ( and for that matter, where are they / would be ? )
    If your gp doesn't have them then it is a late 98 model. The trim tabs are a small aluminum plate on the bottom of the hull at the back. They help the water release cleanly from the hull. This helps the handling of the ski. I put pro-tec tabs on mine and it helped the handling somewhat. Although it isn't a significant change like pro-tec claims. Here is the link to the tabs:

http://www.pro-tecperformance.com/trimtabs.htm

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information