battery question

Pulled the connectors off of my batteries last season hooked them both back.up to a slow charger twice and no luck. Took them in to get checked and they are both no good and under a year in age. One is closed cell the other is normal. Any recommendations for better battery life. also im thinking about getting the riva close cell battery is there any warranty on them and should i even go with a closed cell more expensive if either will be no good after a year. lastly if there is no warranty on the one from the greenhulk store should i go get Tue one from yamaha a little more money with a year warranty. thanks

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Q400 View Post
    Pulled the connectors off of my batteries last season hooked them both back.up to a slow charger twice and no luck. Took them in to get checked and they are both no good and under a year in age. One is closed cell the other is normal. Any recommendations for better battery life. also im thinking about getting the riva close cell battery is there any warranty on them and should i even go with a closed cell more expensive if either will be no good after a year. lastly if there is no warranty on the one from the greenhulk store should i go get Tue one from yamaha a little more money with a year warranty. thanks
    I think advanced auto has 1 yr warranty. May only be 6 months, but I think it is 1 year.

I pulled mine this year (late) and tried to put it on the trickle charger, and it no charge left so it wouldnt charge. It ended up being no good. I relate mine to being hooked up most of the winter and in my cold garage.

I believe you are supposed to put the battery on a block of wood when you trickle charge it.

Quote Originally Posted by akjose View Post
    I think advanced auto has 1 yr warranty. May only be 6 months, but I think it is 1 year.

I pulled mine this year (late) and tried to put it on the trickle charger, and it no charge left so it wouldnt charge. It ended up being no good. I relate mine to being hooked up most of the winter and in my cold garage.

I believe you are supposed to put the battery on a block of wood when you trickle charge it.
    Thanks never heard of that technique. might have to try it Next year with the new batteries thanks

Im no expert but.... i believe the block of wood under battery stems from older folk (try like +20 years) ago when the battery had imperfections in them - enough to allow the cells to be earthed and discharge as if by magic when on concrete.
    Others say a myth....

I used to have to replace the battery on my skis once sometime twice a year until.... I purchased an opti-mate battery balancer/checker/trickler/all round battery do gooder device and not had to replace one yet...

on various waverunners and waveblasters I had to disconnect one of the battery leads as it confused the trickle charging into thinking the battery had issues. I generally removed the neg(black) wire which also helps with black wire syndrome..... anyone else seen that?

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Buy a good quality factory sealed AGM type battery, such as the Odyssey or Deka brands.

Odyssey is sold in the GH online store.

AGM is the preferred battery type for PWC use. No leaks, long life, vibration resistant, good power output.

Use an AGM compatible battery maintainer such as Battery Tender, CTEK, or BatteryMinder. Leave it connected to the battery and powered all the time while in storage.

+1
    I used to go through a battery a year. This starts my sixth year with a Deka EXT16L (in it's third ski-4tec).

Thread Information