Question MFD question and Leak question 1995 SLX 780

I have two separate problems that are unrelated.

I have a 1995 SLX 780

First question, two days ago my MFD worked fine, now it just tells me the time, no fuel or oil levels rpm or speed. None of the buttons work, but the clock counts time. Is there some sort of a reset that can be done, or anything to get this thing working again?

Second question, I had it in the water today, and after about 45 min and the hull had about 3"-4" of water in it. I pulled it out of the water drained it, tightened all the hose clamps and put it back in the water, it is not coming from the cooling system, there is a very slow drip coming from the steering cable, but there is a pretty steady stream coming in around the drive shaft. I just pulled the shaft and put a new drive coupler on it. what should I look for or alter to stop this leak, I replaced one of the seals on the carrier bearing, and re greased it.

Also since im ramblin on, how do I delete an old thread?

Thanks for all the info you can give me!

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by koryk View Post
    ...1995 SLX 780

First question, two days ago my MFD worked fine, now it just tells me the time, no fuel or oil levels rpm or speed.

None of the buttons work, but the clock counts time. Is there some sort of a reset that can be done, or anything to get this thing working again?

Second question, I had it in the water today, and after about 45 min and the hull had about 3"-4" of water in it. I pulled it out of the water drained it, tightened all the hose clamps and put it back in the water,

it is not coming from the cooling system, there is a very slow drip coming from the steering cable, but there is a pretty steady stream coming in around the drive shaft.

I just pulled the shaft and put a new drive coupler on it. what should I look for or alter to stop this leak?

I replaced one of the seals on the carrier bearing, and re-greased it.

Also since im ramblin on, how do I delete an old thread?

Thanks for all the info you can give me!
    MFD re-boot;
    Disconnect the MFD, wait at least 10 minutes, then reconnect.

Disconnecting the battery is probably the easiest method.

When you reconnect, do so with a firm hand, and don't let the wire end jiggle around. Just put the wire end on the battery post, hold it tight, and tighten the bolt.

Wiggling and jiggling the connection to the battery can cause the MFD to rapidly and repeatedly restart. Sometimes this can result in the MFD getting into a 'weird' state.

Alternate MFD reboot methods would be to remove the MFD fuse inside the electrical box, or pull the connector out of the back of the MFD itself.

Why would you replace only one of the two seals in the through-hull bearing?
    Replace them both.

Check that the drive shaft is not worn or grooved where the seals ride. If it is worn, trim the rubber tube section to shift the entire bearing rearwards so the new seals ride on a different part of the shaft. Maybe a 1/4 inch is all it should take.

Are you sure you used the correct size seal?

Thread deletion; Normally old threads stay around forever. That allows other members later on to search and learn from the questions and answers of others.

If there is a post or thread that you really feel needs to be removed, send a message to one of the moderators.

Quote Originally Posted by K447 View Post
    MFD re-boot;
    Disconnect the MFD, wait at least 10 minutes, then reconnect.

Disconnecting the battery is probably the easiest method.

When you reconnect, do so with a firm hand, and don't let the wire end jiggle around. Just put the wire end on the battery post, hold it tight, and tighten the bolt.

Wiggling and jiggling the connection to the battery can cause the MFD to rapidly and repeatedly restart. Sometimes this can result in the MFD getting into a 'weird' state.

Alternate MFD reboot methods would be to remove the MFD fuse inside the electrical box, or pull the connector out of the back of the MFD itself.

Why would you replace only one of the two seals in the through-hull bearing?
    Replace them both.

Check that the drive shaft is not worn or grooved where the seals ride. If it is worn, trim the rubber tube section to shift the entire bearing rearwards so the new seals ride on a different part of the shaft. Maybe a 1/4 inch is all it should take.

Are you sure you used the correct size seal?

Thread deletion; Normally old threads stay around forever. That allows other members later on to search and learn from the questions and answers of others.

If there is a post or thread that you really feel needs to be removed, send a message to one of the moderators.

Thanks for the info! To answer your question, I bought it off eBay, I thought there were two but when the package came there was only one, and when I checked the fine print it said you need two but the auction is only for one even it showed two in the photo! So I replaced the one that was torn the other still looked good! I am gong to replace it and see if that fixes my problem!

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    You can find the seals at any industrial bearing supply house.

Replacing the seals and bushing in the through-hull assembly

There are different versions of the through-hull bearing
    Early units with crimped ends can not be repaired, but they can be directly replaced with the newer style assembly (1996-2004, except MSX)
    Well, maybe the crimped style can be rebuilt
    Click here for a list of parts sources

The seals tend to wear more than the brass bushing, so probably do not need to change the bushing, unless it is worn.
    Replacement seals can be purchased from any Polaris OEM parts source, or generic seals may be installed.

Generic Drive Shaft Seal carrier seal part# 8702 (Two required, or three?)

SKF Rawhide 8702
    Shaft 0.875
    Bore 1.499
    OD 1.503
    Width 0.25

SKF #563541 (22mmx38mmx8mm)

Thread Information