Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

deep fuel pickup question

Hey All,

I have a 08 250x and don't ride offshore at all but have been reading about this deep fuel pickup some of you have installed and how you get more range since the stock setup leaves quite a bit of gas left when it runs out. Not wanting to ever end up in that situation I have some questions. What all is involved in this install and any tips once I get into it? Total average install time? I have the factory service manual so I have the diagrams but what all has to come off? handlebars? main cover etc etc. I would appreciate any help and or advice if you experts can lend some. I am pretty good around bikes (owned many Hd's and others) but this is my 1st jet ski. thanks, Mike

+1
    remove side covers, undo bolts holding the black section and lift and twist it 90deg to the side then remove the plastic cover above the fuel tank sender unit, undo sender unit and lift and twist out (tip mark direction of fittings with pen ontop of fuel tank) no need to remove handle bars its all in the instructions supplied total time guessing 1hr for the experienced

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by nicjak View Post
    remove side covers, undo bolts holding the black section and lift and twist it 90deg to the side then remove the plastic cover above the fuel tank sender unit, undo sender unit and lift and twist out (tip mark direction of fittings with pen ontop of fuel tank) no need to remove handle bars its all in the instructions supplied total time guessing 1hr for the experienced
    Very true. I removed mine cause I was tightening down the big nut and swapping out my bars.

From what I have read the useable fuel doesn't really change much with the extended fuel screen. I suspect Kawasaki settled upon the clearance to the tank bottom for a reason. I'd be willing to bet the engineer(s) responsible felt that a concerned rider low on fuel conserving fuel to get home would run at a civilized or modest manner. I also suspect the pre buzzer remaining fuel amount was selected as a safe range, plus the buzzer is easily canceled with a push of a button. I would hope the extended screen will not chafe the tank bottom under any conditions, I suspect it does have enough space. Since the fuel pump can rotate at installation, this had been taken into account during the design radial install location. The tank also has a sump at the bottom plus the tank positioning is such that under normal trim very little fuel remains when the system lines are depleted. The tank slant is nose up and the pump pickup is aft. I think for most people this alteration is a waste of time and circumventing an intended means. While this may not matter many tanks have pickups located above the bottom tank sump floor to reduce water and dirt ingression laying on the tank floor, I bet they considered this factor too in their decision. They were not stupid when they build the thing is all I am stating. Just food for thought and certainly do as you please.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by rotortiller View Post
    From what I have read the useable fuel doesn't really change much with the extended fuel screen. I suspect Kawasaki settled upon the clearance to the tank bottom for a reason. I'd be willing to bet the engineer(s) responsible felt that a concerned rider low on fuel conserving fuel to get home would run at a civilized or modest manner. I also suspect the pre buzzer remaining fuel amount was selected as a safe range, plus the buzzer is easily canceled with a push of a button. I would hope the extended screen will not chafe the tank bottom under any conditions, I suspect it does have enough space. Since the fuel pump can rotate at installation, this had been taken into account during the design radial install location. The tank also has a sump at the bottom plus the tank positioning is such that under normal trim very little fuel remains when the system lines are depleted. The tank slant is nose up and the pump pickup is aft. I think for most people this alteration is a waste of time and circumventing an intended means. While this may not matter many tanks have pickups located above the bottom tank sump floor to reduce water and dirt ingression laying on the tank floor, I bet they considered this factor too in their decision. They were not stupid when they build the thing is all I am stating. Just food for thought and certainly do as you please.
    Good write up Roto, nice to learn 2 different opinions on the matter

That's not a dig at you Nicjak

Formerly Ultra250 TN Aquaholic6801's Avatar
    +1
    Im real life scenerio, it gives acess to the the last 3 gallons of fuel, with out the extended fuel pick up, you are only able to get to @ 18-19 gallons of fuel, with the extended pick up , if I ran it completely out, I can put @ 22 gallons back in it............

On my 2007 I had the Extended fuel pick up. On my 2009 I do not. What I found is that both boats will suck up 22 gallons. . . .
    The only difference is that when the boat gets down to the last few gallons and you are negotiating any type of turn at any speed, the 2007 would suck the last few gallons "more easily". The 2009 will burp and sputter a bit as she tries to pull the last few gallons into her thirsty belly.

Net Net: It is a good thing to have. It's about the cheapest mod you will ever do to this boat. All "upside". No "downside" that I can think of.

+1

fuel Pickup

Ran my ski till it stopped many times.. this was just to try to get it to the lowest possible ( I hope )

Topped up the tank... was surprised... from "empty" to brim.. it was 89 liters!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information