Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

+1

Need your Opinions

I am looking at buying a jet ski. I have found a couple they are a 2003 polaris cant remember which one and a 1999 polaris slth. I have heard some good and bad things about them. What are your opinions on them? Are they any good?

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Might want to post this in the Polaris forum

Every used PWC has its good and not so good aspects.

What are you looking for?

Low maintenance, high reliability, low cost, high performance, good fuel economy, inexpensive repairs...

+1
    I just dont want to be fixing it every other weekend

Neighborhood Superman SlowStang305's Avatar
    +1
    How much are they asking? Are they running or "does it need a battery?" How much are they asking? Why not purchase one good reliable ski instead?

Nothin' runs like a Deere IowanGPR's Avatar
    polaris makes good 4 wheelers and snowmobiles. jetski's i've only seen trouble. this is just my opinion...not bashing the brand just experience with them.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by 992door View Post
    I just don't want to be fixing it every other weekend
    Current mechanical condition and the previous maintenance practices will be major factors in the reliability of any used PWC.

In general, the Polaris PWC can be reliable. There are some know items that need attention when you first get it. Once things have been checked over and brought up to good, they often run well.

Which 2003 model is the other one?

The two cylinder Polaris engines tend to provide good fuel economy and decent performance (about 100HP).

There is an update for the ignition in the 1996-1999 models (red domestic engine). If that SLTH still has the original ignition, and it is currently running properly, then you can continue to use it as is, or install the update.

I am thinking of buying a PWC. Any tips?

I just bought a Polaris PWC - what should I do?

+1
    the 2003 is an MSX 140.

They are asking 3000k not willing to pay that much for them. Not willing to pay more than 2500 for them. Hopefully less. The 99 does not currently running he says it has spark. So my guess is that it is not getting gas or timing is off alittle. They are on a nice double trailer. I am going to do a compression test on them before I even make an offer.

its a pair and they only want 3k for them both? thats an excellent deal haha

+1
    Yea but the one does not run. What i have looked at on nada.com says that the 99 is worth 770 running and the 03 is worth like 1300-1400 and i figure trailer is probably worth 500+. The guy that has them is probably mid 60s he said he bought them for him and his wife which now has back problems so she cant ride them and they just dont get used anymore. He said the 99 just cut off one day and would not start back up.

+1
    NADA prices tend to be low for Polaris PWC. Actual selling prices vary, but often are higher than NADA would suggest.

With any used PWC, you need to do your homework before making the buy decision. Know what are the things to look for, what commonly fails, what to check.

The 2003 Polaris MSX 140, when working properly, is a nice PWC. Good looks and handling, decent fuel economy. Top speed circa 60+mph.

2003 was the first year for the MSX 140 model, and there were several important Service Bulletins issued. You can call a dealer with the HIN number, and they can tell you if all the applicable bulletins were addressed.

The 1999 SLTH engine is a reliable and fuel efficient two cylinder engine. If compression is good, then it may need an Ignition System Update Kit (about $300, plus installation). You can tell by the CDI part number if the ignition is original or updated.

All Polaris PWC need a strong battery. A marginal battery will produce weak or no spark, even if the engine is cranking.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information