2008 RXP-X Stage 1 Review / Install and *Results* !

First - I have been around watercraft for a long time. I used to be on the old rec.sport.jetski boards back in the 90s. I started out with a 1994 Tigershark Daytona (which was fantastic, BTW), upgraded to a 1995 SeaDoo XP 720 the next year and went all out, with a Factory Pipe, prop, head, etc - ran around 60-62 with great acceleration. Next was a 2000 GPR1200 and installed a D plate, sealed the pump shoe, etc. 66 mph and very solid.

I sold my GPR in 2002, and I have been without a jetski for some time. So I started out looking to rebuild an older 2 stroke, like an X hull or an old GSX. I liked the light weight of the 2 stroke units and figured I could save money by taking on a project. No way did I want a fat 4 stroke or an 800 lb boat! But, after hanging out here for a while, the top speeds and acceleration of blown 4 strokes was too much to resist, so I found a great deal on a leftover new 2008 RXP-X that a dealer was getting some rebate money on and bought it last summer.

Love the RXP-X. It ran 67-68 after the 10 hour mark with great acceleration. When it hit 12 hours, I decided to make changes.

First, I wanted to do an oil change. So I bought the HT Moto Fluid Extractor Pump from this site. It was pricy, at $55, but was a very quality product. I was able to extract almost 4 quarts. It is much easier to use than the hand pump I have been using on my Sea Ray, and the tank and spout makes the whole process easy. I highly recomend it. I used the oil change instructions from the "How To" section of this site. Very easy. I didnt have any problems removing the oil filter cap as some folks do. I grabbed it with a nice set of adjustable pliers that I have and took care not to bend it. I felt very good about myself after saving $200 from what the dealer wanted to do a 10 hour service for. The real reason that I wanted to do it myself is that after calling and speaking with the service department at the local dealer, I was convinced that they had no idea what they were talking about.

Next, I installed the 4 in Kanaflex kit from Fizzle. This piece did not ship on time ( I ordered on Monday and it shipped Friday). Also, the Air filter looked used when it arrived. It had a small dent on it. Wasnt worth the issue of sending back, and no one will see it, so I kept it. I removed the factory air intake, which was a pain, and then installation of the kanaflex was a piece of cake. The catch can included was made of parts easy to find and was quality. For anyone that is a first time installer, I recomend using Riva's instructions to figure out how to remove the factory air intake, they have pictures and are easier to understand. Definately do the 4 in air however, it makes a big difference. Although it arrived later than I expected, I highly recommend this kit for a cost effective intake solution. I used wire ties to tie the rectifier to the gas tank strap and put some double sided tape underneath.

Next I installed the impeller, and removed the OPAS system and installed the block offs. I couldnt get the impeller to fit in the wear ring at first, and it seemed to be too big. I just wasnt sliding it in correctly, though, and after a little negotiating, it went in. (This has happened before - LOL).

I had to go and buy the 12 mm allen tool to remove the impeller. I knew I would need the impeller tool, so I bought it with the prop, but I didnt have a 12mm allen tool and had a hard time finding one at the local stores. Harbor freight Tools had a great set of Allen bits from China that fit in a 1/2 socket driver that I bought for $10. The 7mm that was included now makes it easy to remove the cowling cover from the ski also. Before I reinstalled the pump, I put the pump wedge on, and installed the VTS extension.

I put the Worx grate on, and used silicone to cover up all of the bolts from the intake grate and the ride plate. Then, I used a putty knife to smooth the surface really flat over the bolts. Finally, I did the reverse bucket mod. Just in case it was causing drag
    BTW, I did not buy the stage one kit from RIVA because I wanted thto use the Worx grate. The only other items from the Stage One kit that I did not purchase was the nozzle / rings.

So today, I took it to the lake. It was about 70 degrees, and I was at about 1000 feet above sea level. I let it warm up for several minutes before taking off. After a few more minutes, I started to make several high speed runs. I have an old Garmin Etrex (first edition) to record max speed. Halfway through the first run, the ski stopped. Smoke began pouring out of the ski. Holy cow! What a disastor! Did I forget to add the oil? No. Has it detonated? Panic set in. A quick removal of the seat revealed the best possile reason to have smoke in your boat. The exhaust hose came off of the waterbox. Whew - only hurt my pride (and - no one saw it!) I had made sure not to overtighten the hoses, but in this case I had used too much care. So I slid the hose back on, tightened it up, and was off again.

Top speed for the day was 74.3 mph. I am extremely happy with that. I had 3/4 of a tank of gas and did not do the superman position. That is 7 mph faster than it ran stock. It was hard to tell the acceleration improvement / change. I hadnt ridden the ski since October, so I couldnt really tell. It didnt improve with the 15 /22 R, but didnt seem to be worse either.

I dont really plan any more mods, as I just wanted to be a little faster than a stock RXP -X or RXT -X boat.

I appreciate the advice and many posts from so many of you on this forum. It made this project really easy and I am really happy with the results.
    Last edited by grantmt; 04-29-2010 at 11:16 PM. Reason: left out some info

Nice numbers to add for such a cheap set of add ons huh! The deal with the prop is that since you open her up to breath, you added RPMs. The stock prop would have had you bangin the rev limiter all day, so the 15/22 brings you back down into the sweet spot. Now you have me wondering if I'm going to need to get mine re-pitched cause I have a ton more add ons... But I think I can get mine dialed in by changing the nozzle size, so I should be good! Guess I'll see in June!

+1
    find a stock RXP nozzle you will see a better top end, down side, you lose some hole shot.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by Laxcrazy23 View Post
    find a stock RXP nozzle you will see a better top end, down side, you lose some hole shot.
    I had my prop pitched to match my 83 Nozzle. I noticed no holeshot loss that I can detect.

Quote Originally Posted by River Rat Jay View Post
    Nice numbers to add for such a cheap set of add ons huh! The deal with the prop is that since you open her up to breath, you added RPMs. The stock prop would have had you bangin the rev limiter all day, so the 15/22 brings you back down into the sweet spot. Now you have me wondering if I'm going to need to get mine re-pitched cause I have a ton more add ons... But I think I can get mine dialed in by changing the nozzle size, so I should be good! Guess I'll see in June!
    i go with my 08 rxp x sunday with this components:
    r&d intake grate
    solas 15/22R
    stock cone 83MM rxp 215
    riva 3" filter kit
    i don't have gps but i see 8040 rpm

Thread Information