New LCD gauge cluster

My LCD gauge failed due to water ingestion on my 06 GTI 4tec. I have bought a brand new one. I fitted it today, but the ski will not start. If I pull the wiring loom out or fit the old damaged gauge, it starts fine. Do I need to take it to a dealer for some kind of setup? I was told I simply needed to fit it and all would be fine. But seems this is not the case.

Thanks for any input.
    Last edited by 4tecdude; 04-30-2010 at 06:06 AM. Reason: spelling

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1

buds needed

unless the cluster was a used on out of an identical ski, I'm pretty sure the dealer needs to program the mpem to recognize it. Either that or ummmmmehhhh..the new cluster is junk.

While it's on the buds, get an extra key or two made..that will dilute the pain of the dealer visit

+1
    When I had a cluster replaced the dealer had to program it my ski.

+1
    the gauge need to match the ECU.... go to the dealer and get it set-up. should only take them a couple minutes to do it. I had software up date couple codes and a service light cleared and only took 5min

+1
    Youll need to take it to the dealer and have them hook it up to the BUDS System so the can "Match" it to the ski....

5 minutes LOL it takes more time to boot the computer and log in to Buds than that. Not to mention bring it around to the Ski. But they are right the Display needs to have the correct software loaded and match it to the ECM. Not like the older ones

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1

one more thing that pisses me off

<rant mode on>
    why oh why is this step even required?

because the software engineers that work for seadoo are a bunch of amateurs and project management has zero concern for customer convenience

yeah..i'm ticked..and I don't even own a 4-tec

I have a very strong background in software and systems, there is no really good reason for this. The mpem/ecu should be able to download software into the console to match it to the ski's configuration the instant it's connected and powered.

What happened here was an oops...consoles done by one group, mpem and ecm done by others..then the buds staff has to figure out how to make it all work.

great for dealers...sucks for owners.

Not to bore with details of old, but I designed a test system for digital cameras that would querey the camera connected and configure the test software to run tests specifically designed for that model camera.

The lack of sub-system communication is simply poor overall project management or perhaps the cobbing together of several systems from different eras with no chance at all of the type of integration a 10K plus watercraft should have.

an wii box seems to have higher technology then this
    <rant mode off>

now it's one other thing in the mix that might prevent me from buying a scan-sea..if it can't program a replacement console, it's something else I have to farm out.

Now I've only seen one flooded out console to date, but as these skis get older and more exposed to the elements, I expect more of these to die when a ski goes upside down for more then a few minutes.

Yamaha is starting to look better, except for the brutally high parts prices.

Granted that seadoo packs some good functionality in the consoles, the price we pay for this may start seeming a bit high. Am I blinded by rage?

by the way, did the dealer charge you for the programming?..did you buy that console from that dealer?

Hi and thank-you for your information. I will go to my repairer and get it sussed. I bought the gauge from an online supplier. Under half the price of what the dealer wanted!!

My ski only has 100 hours on it and is always washed thoroughly and stored under cover. The gauge was water damaged from the ski being upside down for about a minute... )-: Not sure I'll be hitting the surf again with this ski.
    Last edited by 4tecdude; 05-03-2010 at 01:32 AM. Reason: add more info

home of the dislexic fingers breon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dockside View Post
    the gauge need to match the ECU.... go to the dealer and get it set-up. should only take them a couple minutes to do it. I had software up date couple codes and a service light cleared and only took 5min

= 50 bucks

Thread Information