Won't run without bilge pump

2004 Freedom, was basket case, runs good now as long as bilge pump button is held in the whole time.

Possible low voltage problem. When bilge is held it might be feeding the extra voltage that the ski is requiring to run. Others might have more info on this

+1
    Reset fuse at Battery box .
    You may need to download schematic and follow it through to understand it more .Sometimes the lr module can fail and it will produce the same issue .Start at breaker first

Bernie

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by kevan TX View Post
    2004 Freedom, was basket case, runs good now as long as bilge pump button is held in the whole time.
    Pressing the bilge button sends power to all the wires on the "orange circuits".
    When trying to start, the LR module is supposed to send power to the orange wires.
    Polaris put the red/purple CDI power wire on the orange circuit,for a hot restart problem.
    Make sure you get an "AC voltage signal on the yellow stator wire when cranking.

You need a new LR module, voltage regulator.

Thanks for the information.It started out as just holding bilge botton while cranking, then it would run fine. Now bilge button has to be held in the whole time to keep it running.

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by kevan TX View Post
    Thanks for the information.It started out as just holding bilge button while cranking, then it would run fine.

Now bilge button has to be held in the whole time to keep it running.
    It definitely sounds like the LR-505 module is failing, or failed.

Put multi-meter on battery. While cranking engine (bilge button not pressed) measure the voltage. Must be above 10.6 volts while cranking.

If battery voltage is below 10.6 volts while cranking, charge or replace battery, then test again.

Battery voltage good => Find the Red/Purple wire that runs directly into the CDI module (4010803).

Connect multi-meter to that Red/Purple wire. Put other meter probe on terminal for Black wire from CDI.

Crank engine without bilge button pressed. Voltage should be above 10.6 volts. I would expect it won't be, given the symptoms you have described.

Now press bilge button. Does the voltage jump up to battery voltage? It should.

Start engine. What is the voltage with bilge button pressed, and engine running?
    It should be 14.x volts.

LR-505 - 4010648 Regulator, 1 Button
    (aka combination Start/Stop module, voltage regulator)

$112 from PartsPitStop

This is how I run a jetski shop in the desert nmpeter's Avatar
    +1

thanks for the link

after my old polaris parts supplier canceled an order without even so much as an email, then gave me some lame excuse as to why I didn't get it, I'm happy to try a new supplier for the various polaris bits I need from time to time. Havasu salvage has also helped me out from time to time. Brandon over there is very very helpful.

Cost on the s/s mod is excitingly low for such a needed bit, heck I might just keep one in stock now...

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Quote Originally Posted by nmpeter View Post
    ...Cost on the s/s mod is excitingly low for such a needed bit, heck I might just keep one in stock now...
    Are you referring to this Service Bulletin?

Service Bulletin PWC-00-05
    Move CDI Red/Purple wire to Orange terminal for reliable engine restarts

Applies to all domestic engine carburetor Polaris PWC, two and three cylinder engines 1996-2000 (and possibly some 2001)
    All later domestic engines were wired this way from the factory.
    How the LR module controls domestic CDI power, and ensures reliable warm re-starts

Thanks for the great information and troubleshooting tips. I'll let you know how it turns out.

Thread Information