rxt x learner key

Hi everyone
    I am new to the site and new in Seadooing. Just bought a new 2008 RXT X and have a full 2 hrs on it. Is there anything special I should now about this nice machine.
    I tried the learner key before the wife used it and the ski seems to run very differently compared to the regular key. It seems to miss or similar to backfire. is it the computer that doesn't read the key well or does it cut out a cylinder???
    Any input would be greatly appreciated.
    I love the ski and can't wait to really try it out after breakin period
    Thanks

+1
    Hi and welcome to the forum.

Your learner key is doing exactly what its supposed to do, limiting your rpm`s at the early stages when your ski is new. The learning key is programmed to your watercrafts ecu and restricts your rpm`s to between 5 and 6000 rpm`s.
    I used it on my T-X for the first 5 hrs and then switched to my standard key. You can then start gradually increasing your speed and rpm`s, breaking the ski in. Vary the rpm`s over the range for the next couple of hrs. You can take it up to full rpm`s for short periods but i wouldn`t sit with it pegged flat out for anything more than a couple of minutes. This will ensure a good break in period but its entirely up to you.
    I put about 8 hrs on mine before riding it hard.

Good luck with the ski and enjoy it

Alex..

+1
    Why dont people read the manual

DO NOT USE THE LEARNER KEY DURING BREAKIN. You will wreck the motor if you do so STOP

It shuts off one cylinder which = less hp power which = less rpm, it is very bad cause it creats uneven wear in the motor. Use you finger to control rpms and you also want to vary the rpms across the "whole rpm range", dot be afraid to hold it WOT for a couple sec.. again read the manual as its clearly outlined in there. Main thing to keep in mind during a breakin in is just dont keep it at any one rpm for to long, just vary it and youll be good.

+1
    Dockside is correct, throw the learner key in the drawer and don't use it for break in.

The only other thing you need to be aware of on that 2008 RXT-X is there have been several members here with cracked pump tunnels on this model. This can be serious, and has the potential to sink your ski in a matter of seconds or at least flood your engine with water. Ergo; you really need to keep a close eye out for hairline cracks in the pump tunnel under the bottom of your ski; most owners use a flashlight for regular inspections.

Do some searches on "tunnel cracks" for more info. There are also some threads over on the DIY section on methods of reinforcing your tunnel to try and avoid this; but some of them have cracked again even after reinforcing. See the thread in my signature for plenty of tips on how to avoid damaging your new Sea-Doo.

You guys the Learning Key doesn't just drop one cylinder. It drops one but changes witch one randomly so as not to damage the engine or foul a plug. It should be ok to run it that way but I am with you on not during break in. It shouldn't hurt it but why stress it more than needed. It becomes a personal choice.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by PEST! View Post
    You guys the Learning Key doesn't just drop one cylinder. It drops one but changes witch one randomly so as not to damage the engine or foul a plug. It should be ok to run it that way but I am with you on not during break in. It shouldn't hurt it but why stress it more than needed. It becomes a personal choice.
    why tell him it ok when it is int. to do a proper breakin you must vary the rpm across the "whole rpm range" you need the Higher rpms to help seat the rings. And beside you shouldnt see full rpms till 10 hr's

right from the manual....

To achieve a good breakin, throttle should never exceed 3/4 opening "However", Brief acceleration and speed variation contribute to a good breakin.

just very the rpm and do the odd WOT burst... and do a search about using the learning key if ya dont believe me.

Thread Information