possibly: crazy question

Last year I bought 3 slt750's, all low hours. I am currently replacing stock fuel pumps with triple pumps. While I have the carbs off I figure I should clean and inspect them. However, I really don't want to buy 9 rebuild kits as long as I can't find any problems. With that said here's the question.

What do you think about soaking the seals and diaphram in white vinegar (to condition them) while I am cleaning the carbs?

crazy, stupid, I don't know, yes, any replies appreciated.

Thanks

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    Why white vinegar?
    Water + acetic acid

The carbs are the heart of the fuel system. A single problem carb can ruin an engine from lean burn down of a piston.

The cost of nine carburetor rebuild kits is much less than one engine rebuild.

Have you talked to John Zigler about a package of just what you need for those carbs?

Check them first. Since you have three skis to do, just do 1 set of carbs at a time. If you need something order it at that time .

I bought a '93 SL750 last year, rebuilt the engine and cleaned the carbs. Only thing I replaced in the carbs were O-rings and checked the pop offs. The ski ran like the Everready bunny all summer with absolutly zero problems. I would reccomend replacing all the fuel line, including inside the fuel tank. I would also clean the fuel tank and oil tank, replace all oil lines and filter, including the lines from the oil pump to carbs.

John Zigler is a good source for what you need. Also Pats Small Engine Parts, www.psep.biz , I just ordered some more fuel line and fuel pumps from there. They have the small line for the oil injection also.

Good luck and have fun!!!!

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by bogart View Post
    yes, any replies appreciated.

Thanks
    Welcome to Green Hulk!!
    Bogart.....?????? That won't work well around here. LOL

I've noticed that with a pwc that was properly winterized/maintenanced.
    ....or stored properly,the rubber seals inside the carbs are pretty durable and can be reused if you are carefull... Care..fulll

Unfortunately the genuine mikuni carb kits for the 38 & 44 are rather expensive,but from all my research across the board you should only use mikuni. I just went through my 750slt carbs. I used new diaphram, 2 o-orings on adjusters,& a gasket in the jet side!& in carb filters And had about 15 peices left. 3 carbs @ $ 159.00 my local polaris dealer, says that they sell individual carb gaskets. Also these 750 slt are fuel system problematic.
    new 3 way pump, hoses , check to see if you have return restrictor in,
    throw away autocock if you still have them, check petcock o-ring,check pick ups,install a water seperator, also make sure you have a proper vac.check valve & a vent check valve. definitely get your fuel sys. in order & carbs running right or like k-477 said youll end up burning a piston,
    Good Luck
    Brian

Quote Originally Posted by Clayton G View Post
    Check them first. Since you have three skis to do, just do 1 set of carbs at a time. If you need something order it at that time .

I bought a '93 SL750 last year, rebuilt the engine and cleaned the carbs. Only thing I replaced in the carbs were O-rings and checked the pop offs. The ski ran like the Everready bunny all summer with absolutly zero problems. I would reccomend replacing all the fuel line, including inside the fuel tank. I would also clean the fuel tank and oil tank, replace all oil lines and filter, including the lines from the oil pump to carbs.

John Zigler is a good source for what you need. Also Pats Small Engine Parts, www.psep.biz , I just ordered some more fuel line and fuel pumps from there. They have the small line for the oil injection also.

Good luck and have fun!!!!
    I dont know about that , If Im going to do rebuild I personally would do all 3 while im in there. these things are expensive but to keep them running but in order to acheive a reliable boat is to do it wright the first time. My Dad says do it right or dont do anything at all.Hes also a jerk like that

I meant to only do carbs from one jetski at a time. I don't think you want to have 9 carbs disassembled all at one time. Thats a good way to lose parts.

Thanks and "my bad"

First off I appreciate all the replies. I would love to rebuild all the carbs completely and a year ago I probably would have. But since then I have become a widower and lost a good job after 17 years, to top that off I am now a single father off twin teenagers. Long story short I have to watch where the money goes.
    Back to the vinegar, “my bad” I talked to a friend who is old as dirt and been working on stuff probably longer than most of us have been alive. He said that would work with rubber but not neoprene. For example; “that’s why home canned pickles never went bad the vinegar kept the rubber seal pliable”. However he did say that if you were going to be taking your time and the seals were going to be out of the carb that he would put them in oil so not to let them dry out. But do not use gasoline this will cause them to swell and become deformed.
    I’ve completed 3 carbs and everything looked good, also ran pop off test. Still have to put them on the rack and time them.
    Thanks again, Bogart

Thread Information