Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    +1

Question Problem firing up '96 XP 800

Problem firing up '96 XP 800

Have installed fresh clean fuel. No water in the tank either.
    Rebuilt carbs and feel that may be where the problem is

Getting fuel.
    Getting spark.
    Smokes when turning over but won't start, however feel it wants to.
    Choked and without being choked.
    Starting fluid not helping.

.Tried settings:
    Levelled idle screw with the stop plate, then calibrated oil injector to line up with it's own marks, then turned idle screw 1 turn out with no further calibration to injector.
    Low speed screws set at 1 turn out.
    Hi speed screws at 1/4 turn out.
    Turns over, but won't fire. Smoke from exhaust while turning over.

To no avail, did a search and found a post which stated the following settings:
    Hi speed screw set to '0' zero.
    Low speed screw set to 1 & 1/2 turns out.
    Idle screw out 2 turns.
    Same problem. Turns over, smokes, but won't fire up.

(Didn't perform pop-off test if that matters)

Any ideas?

Did this ski quit when it was last used? or just set up? When you rebuild the carbs if you kept the original springs in there you should be good. If you changed the springs with new ones included with the rebuild kit checking the pop off is a MUST! Being as you've sprayed starting fluid with no luck, It could possibly be a Rotary valve issue....

+1
    I had the ski out and rode well. However noticed the hesitation when cold starting and knew it needed a carb rebuild. So it ran fine till I rebuilt them.
    I used the same colour spring from the kit as was in the carb. Would the new spring keep it from at least firing?
    (I don't think it's a rotary valve issue just yet as it was running)

Quote Originally Posted by ktyamaha36 View Post
    Did this ski quit when it was last used? or just set up? When you rebuild the carbs if you kept the original springs in there you should be good. If you changed the springs with new ones included with the rebuild kit checking the pop off is a MUST! Being as you've sprayed starting fluid with no luck, It could possibly be a Rotary valve issue....

Work Harder, Millions on Wellfare Depend On Us! ultramaxracing05's Avatar
    +1
    it could be a leaky needle seat?
    my buddy was getting spark fuel and smoke but he was just flooding the engine. cause h was running too rich.

+1
    I put new needles in, but didn't change washers.

--Just to be sure, the actuator end of the lever (centered with diagphram) is to be level with the inner housing, while the other end should be keeping slight pressure on the needle to keep it seated, right?

Quote Originally Posted by ultramaxracing05 View Post
    it could be a leaky needle seat?
    my buddy was getting spark fuel and smoke but he was just flooding the engine. cause h was running too rich.

Warner Robins, GA Home of the 2007 All-Star Little League World Champions!
    The ignition systems are very weak on 96's, so make sure your battery is fresh.

Pour a little premix (about 2 tablespoons) down each spark plug hole and reinstall the plugs and see if she fires right up. If so, and it stays running, then the fuel system did not have time to prime. It takes a long time to doo this with dry carbs.

If it only runs long enough to burn the fuel you poured in, then it is starved for fuel.

Check your gas on/off/res switch for the restriction.

+1
    Must have been flooded as it sat overnight and started up today.
    However needs tuning and the book specs don't seem to make it run all that smooth.
    I'm doing the adjustments with the carbs exposed as I need access for my fat hands and a mirror.
    She idles fine, but when I hammer the throttle, it's a bit sluggish.
    If anyone has a tip on this (a simple one if possible...LoL), I would appreciate it.

+1

Question

The attached picture (if can be seen) illustrates an issue regarding some silicone debris found in the spark plugs. Not sure what it means, or even if it is something to be dreadly concerned with, however might indicate something more significant for someone with better experience. Any idea why I'm seeing this type of debris? ................P.S. SBT motor #SBT74093
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	question.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	542.4 KB 
ID:	186181  

Warner Robins, GA Home of the 2007 All-Star Little League World Champions!
    That must be a SBT Reman engine. The silicone is from the excess squeezed out from the case halves when they were assembled. Starting the engine broke the bead off. No biggie. Also no biggie on the silicone around the spark plug hole. It doesn't need any sealer there, but SBT goops it anyway.

You must have flooded your engine yesterday. The smoke is normal, (really that isn't much), the oil film is normal on the exhaust, everything is normal.

The engine in stock form can act a little sluggish when the throttle is nailed on the trailer. It's because it's pig-rich, and slightly loads because it has no load and doesn't need this much fuel. Go dump it in the water and tune it at the ramp. See how she responds in the water and make adjustments there. You are wasting your time adjusting fuel mixtures out of the water. Just get your idle @ 3500 and head to the lake.

+1
    That's great news, and thanks for your valued experience!
    Quote Originally Posted by 96XPSS View Post
    That must be a SBT Reman engine. The silicone is from the excess squeezed out from the case halves when they were assembled. Starting the engine broke the bead off. No biggie. Also no biggie on the silicone around the spark plug hole. It doesn't need any sealer there, but SBT goops it anyway.

You must have flooded your engine yesterday. The smoke is normal, (really that isn't much), the oil film is normal on the exhaust, everything is normal.

The engine in stock form can act a little sluggish when the throttle is nailed on the trailer. It's because it's pig-rich, and slightly loads because it has no load and doesn't need this much fuel. Go dump it in the water and tune it at the ramp. See how she responds in the water and make adjustments there. You are wasting your time adjusting fuel mixtures out of the water. Just get your idle @ 3500 and head to the lake.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information