Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

2000 SLX 1200 no spark after running for a while

i recently got a 2000 polaris slx 1200. This thing is a blast. Its very fast.

But it has a small issue. It runs great when its running. Revs really high, like 6800 or 6600.

After i run it for a little bit, if i shut it off it wont restart. I checked for spark today and it didnt have any spark out of any of the 3 spark plugs.

But if i let it sit a couple hours, then it will start right up and do the same thing.

And it runs perfect when its running. Anyone have any ideas??

Also when i go to take out of the water it feels like something is just spinning. Like im not moving but the rpms go up. Is that normal?? But once i get going really moves. Its only like that from a stop.

thanks,

Joey

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by v8tiger View Post
    i recently got a 2000 polaris slx 1200. This thing is a blast. Its very fast.

But it has a small issue. It runs great when its running. Revs really high, like 6800 or 6600.

After i run it for a little bit, if i shut it off it wont restart. I checked for spark today and it didnt have any spark out of any of the 3 spark plugs.

But if i let it sit a couple hours, then it will start right up and do the same thing.

And it runs perfect when its running. Anyone have any ideas??

Also when i go to take out of the water it feels like something is just spinning. Like im not moving but the rpms go up. Is that normal?? But once i get going really moves. Its only like that from a stop.

thanks,

Joey
    sounds like you are experiencing cavitation.. which means your prop is spinning in the water and creating air bubbles.. making it just spin.. kinda like you are doing a break stand in your car.

you need too check in side your pump both from the exit and from the intake grate.. from the intake grate you are looking for bent up prop.. or chucks missing or rough edges, from the exit nozzle you are looking at your stator blades too see if there is any chunks missing.

another possibility is that your pto coupler is stripping or your splines on your drive shaft are worn down.. if your prop and stator check out you need too take the pump off too inspect the shaft..

Click avatar for tech links/info, donation request K447's Avatar
    +1
    No-spark on warm re-start; Click ALL the links below

Polaris Domestic (red) engine

Service Bulletin PWC-00-05
    Move CDI Red/Purple wire to Orange terminal for reliable engine restarts

Applies to all domestic engine carburetor Polaris PWC, two and three cylinder engines 1996-2000 (and possibly some 2001)
    All later domestic engines were wired this way from the factory.
    How the LR module controls domestic CDI power, and ensures reliable warm re-starts

I don't know which red/purple wire it is. There is 4 on the circuit board. And there are 3 orange wires. When I moved one of the redpurple wires to a orange terminal the bilge pump turned on.

And I also don't know what the cdi module is. I think I know what it is but there is like 20 wires coming out of it. But one is a redpurple wire then it splits to a small box that is the size of a relay then comes off that and goes to the other half of the box with the circuit board. That terminal is coverd by a plastic piece.

So hope you can help me

+1
    Have a look at this thread;
    96 SLT700

Does that help?

yea that helped a little bit.

i unplugged the male bullet connector coming out of the module. and made a wire then plugged the other end onto the orange terminal.

It didnt start. Has no spark.

Im going to look at it a little more today.

got any ideas what i did wrong?? any common mistakes?

And btw my orange terminal is in a differant spot than what that picture says.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by v8tiger View Post
    ...I unplugged the male bullet connector coming out of the module. and made a wire then plugged the other end onto the orange terminal.

It didn't start. Has no spark.

I'm going to look at it a little more today.

got any ideas what i did wrong??
    any common mistakes?

And btw my orange terminal is in a different spot than what that picture says.
    You have no spark at all?

Put a multi-meter on the Orange terminal, with the other meter probe on the Black terminal.
    What voltage do you read when the engine is cranking?

Must be over 10.6 volts, or there will be no spark.

Hold the bilge button down. Does the bilge pump run?

If the bilge runs, hold the bilge button while trying to start. Does it now start?

okay, well the cyl that i was checking spark on doesnt have spark.

i looked at it more today, and only the middle cyl DOESNT have spark, that other two have it.

but they must be out of time because it doesnt even try and start.

I was running out of gas the last time out, rode on it for about 10 minutes with FUEL shouting at me and red light blinking. So i thought maybe it was in limp mode or something dumb, so i went and filled it up and disconnected the battery to try and reset it , but still same problem.

And when i found out i didnt have spark last night, i hooked it up back the way the wires were stock.

I will check voltages on the red purple wire right now, and get back to you.

thanks,

Joey.

EDIT: I just checked the voltages, and on the red purple wire i have 12.15 volts with out starting it, and when i crank, it has around 10.2

i also put a jump box on the battery just to make sure that wasnt it.

While cranking it had 12v. without 13.7 v

could i have shorted something out when i put the wrong redpurple wire on the terminal that made the bilge pump come on.

also no it doesnt start if i hold the bilge pump down then crank it over.

+1
    Post a clear photo of how you have it wired now.

Jumpering the battery can cause damage in a Polaris PWC. They don't like voltage spikes.

10.2 volts means weak battery. If the battery cannot deliver well over 10.6 volts while cranking, replace the battery.

How are you checking for spark?

Have a look at this thread;
    http://www.greenhulk.net/forums/show...be#post1409626

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information